Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put up a stand in a new location at our camp and need your all's opinion on something. The location is off an old logging road that is mainly composed of dirt and rock (some more rock than dirt). What could I put out there that would grow? I don't think the area I want to plant is wide enough to use our tractor to plow, so it would have to be something I would have to broadcast.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll give those two a try. I have around 10 bags of Green Patch Plus, Winter Peas and some other stuff that I wasn't able to plant so I need something to at least try to grow.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not that it's that small. It's around 150 yards down each side of the road. The width would probably be around 3 feet and the 150 yards long. I just need something that will grow on the banks of that road.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
We plant alot of areas on our lease that match the description you give. We usually run a fourwheeler with a disk up the old logging road, throw out some winter wheat and then cover it up with a bed spring. It grows up great and it tends to cause the deer to slow down and feed, with thier head down, as they cross the logging road. It gives me a little more time to ID the deer and set up a shot. That's my opinion...yours may vary.

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
you can seed it and then get some bales of straw or hay and spread it thin to hold the seed in place until it germinates. I have done that on a road that was just about all rock and got it to come up good using rye grass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.