Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted a small food plot Saturday, and as soon as I was finished seeding it we got a nice rain. 10 day forecast shows 85-95 for highs and no rain at all. How long can it make it after germination without rain? Planted oats and turnips.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, Thanks for the vote of confidence there fellas. That's what I was afraid of. Forecast showed rain for three days in a row before I sowed it, we got it one of those days. Now nothing. Dang weathermen

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
X3 I usually wait to plant until Middle of September when you are more likely to get rainfall more often and not as hot. The first Food Plot I ever planted was in August and had to replant.
X4........ That's the exact point that I have been trying to make lately; better to wait for many days of rain and be "late" than get it in when you have the time and inclination, then have to do it all over again. Waiting doesn't only bring better chances of more than 1-2 days of rain. The cooler temps and lower sun angle mean that the ground holds more moisture between rains, and that is the ticket for keeping sprouts alive and kicking AFTER they have sprouted, plus, this also keeps the soil soft, allowing the roots to get deep as fast as possible. Deep roots keep the seedlings going during dry periods and keep the plant from coming up in an early freeze, which can happen!:smack:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.