Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a decent fly rod and reel for me and munchkin to learn (OK, for me to re-learn) with. Bream mostly, maybe occasional bass will be the main target.... unless someone shows me what to do below Carpenter Dam (of which I am completely clueless).

I know not to spend much on the reel. Munchkin is almost 12, a little over 5' tall and 105 pounds. I have an old fiberglass rod but it's really too willow-y in my opinion.

Oh, 'need line type/weight recommendations, too

I need to stay inexpensive as possible.

Advice/opinions are appreciated.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Wow Tommy, low-cost fly fishing equipage, that's a tall order!

My great uncle gave me an old Orvis fly rod and antique reel, told me to wear it out fishing. After he passed away I got the stuff out and sorta looked to see how much it was worth, and it's not been out of the brass tube since! :eek:

Surely somebody's got some stuff they ain't using, or can point you in the right direction. It's a wonderful thing to take a kid fishing!

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Tommy, low-cost fly fishing equipage, that's a tall order!

My great uncle gave me an old Orvis fly rod and antique reel, told me to wear it out fishing. After he passed away I got the stuff out and sorta looked to see how much it was worth, and it's not been out of the brass tube since! :eek:

Surely somebody's got some stuff they ain't using, or can point you in the right direction. It's a wonderful thing to take a kid fishing!
You keep that old stuff, but USE it... JMO... that's what it's for.

Well, I figure I have busted on hunting.. just didn't connect the dots well to find a place, etc. Living in the middle of several lakes and having a nice boat at my use.... 'reckon I shouldn't pass it up.
Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey Tommy,
This is Cache's son Chris. I read your post and welcome back to the sport.
I have been fly-fishing since around 94 and im 23yr old now but planning to be a flyfishing guide in Colorado next year. If your looking for a combo that wont break the bank I would go with cabelas combos. Taught a friend that had one and it feels great for the price. Id go with a 5 weight since u will be doing some bass fishing with streamers but its not bad for bream. Id go with a floating line since you wont need to go under the surface for bream and even floating for bass works with the use of a tippet. Since you want your son to join you I would get him a 8'6in rod length and a 9ft for u unless ur in alot of cover most the time since a 8'6 is easy to control. FYI iv got a Scott SAS 9'0 5 weight 3 piece Rod for traveling and its nice cause iv been to canada several times. Reel is Scientific Anglers 2L. Line is Cortland 444 Precision. Sorry for the long post if any other questions ask away glad to answer.:thumb:

Chris

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Tommy,
This is Cache's son Chris. I read your post and welcome back to the sport.
I have been fly-fishing since around 94 and im 23yr old now but planning to be a flyfishing guide in Colorado next year. If your looking for a combo that wont break the bank I would go with cabelas combos. Taught a friend that had one and it feels great for the price. Id go with a 5 weight since u will be doing some bass fishing with streamers but its not bad for bream. Id go with a floating line since you wont need to go under the surface for bream and even floating for bass works with the use of a tippet. Since you want your son to join you I would get him a 8'6in rod length and a 9ft for u unless ur in alot of cover most the time since a 8'6 is easy to control. FYI iv got a Scott SAS 9'0 5 weight 3 piece Rod for traveling and its nice cause iv been to canada several times. Reel is Scientific Anglers 2L. Line is Cortland 444 Precision. Sorry for the long post if any other questions ask away glad to answer.:thumb:

Chris
OK, your rec. is 8'-6", 5 wt. floating line (I was thinking floating too), recommend Cabelas combos..
Is that level, or some tapered line?

Thank you for the reply.

Tommy

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
Really depends on what you mean by "break the bank", but there has already been some good advice given, so I will keep mine to a minimum.

Be sure that you get a "weight-forward" line. If bream and bass fishing will be your primary aim - then I would go with what some companies call a "rocket" taper - it loads even more of the weight towards the end - making the casting of heavier flies a bit easier - especially larger poppers and bass flies.

I have not cast the Cabelas combo, but I did handle some of the rods at the Buda, Texas store last summer. Seemed pretty well-built and had a pretty good "feel" as best I could tell in the store.

Cortland 444 is a good line (but definitely not the cheapest).

Fly rods are so subjective - each person has a different "feel" they prefer. But keep in mind that the longer distance you plan to cast, the longer the rod needs to be (unless you like to work). But for the kid, he doesn't need a super-long rod. Just too much to handle when learning.

One other bit I was told (and found to be pretty true) many years ago - while you generally want to get a rod and line weight that match, if you get a one-weight heavier rod than the line, it can be a bit easier to make longer casts... But I reccomend not getting heavier line than rod...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the 444 is tapered atleast i think it still is. iv got to check but the next time i buy it will be for guiding and im going to be paying a good chunk of change. Sage ZXL 486-4 with the orvis Vortex VO2 reel and orvis wonderline GEN 3.But that is going to be expensive so im going to wait on my guide discount for all that:thumb:

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
HOLY COW!!!! I haven't actually purchased fly line in a LONG time... Last line I purchased was Cortland 444 Lazer Line...Rocket Taper. Was one of the hot new things at the time (does that put it in perspective for you folks?) That was what? Mid 1990's? Geeeze. I didn't realize how long it had been. And even more - what the prices of fly line are up to!!!! That Cortland was one of the most expensive at the fly shop I bought it at, at the time. I think I paid around $45 for it...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
And one final thing to add, All the info given means something but never trust someone elses judgment on what u should get, ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS go try it for yourself. Pick it up cast it and feel the rod, Look for an extension of ur arm, not a long heavy stick in ur hand. And inexpensive is not a bad thing. Iv picked up $200 rigs that feel just as my $600 setup does but the lifetime no question ask warrenty sold me. And dont forget to take ur kid with you and try different lengths and tip actions for both yall.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Check out Bass Pro... I got a pretty nice fly rod there a couple of years ago pretty reasonably (50 bucks or so). I think it is the Dogwood Canyon series, but it has held up well so far. I know it's not a top notch top of the line flyrod and reel, but it has worked great for me on bluegills in ponds and small creek bass and sunfish. I've even used it trout fishing a few times with no complaints. Just my 2 cents...
Bryan

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Cortland usually has beginner setups that ought to get you going under $100 bucks. I've got one of the cheaper Cabelas rods (bought it after I broke my Cortland for maybe around $70?) Definitely get a graphite rod.
I would probably suggest a little heavier rod than others. I'd suggest a 6-7. Reason being that bream poppers wont require a suddle presentation, and it'll cast bass bugs a lot better. It doesnt take much of a bass bug to provide a ton of wind resistance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts