Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to fly fish but I do not do it much. I have a 5 wt I use now but I really don't get much of a fight out of the smaller fish. I have been wanting to get a rod set up primarily for bream but also war mouth and stocker trout in the White. I think fighting them on the fly rod equivalent of an ultra light would be a ball! I'm leaning toward a 3 wt. I would appreciate any advice from anyone with experience in this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use a 3wt myself and enjoy it. Only bad is when you catch a good one in a heavy current it can be a pretty long fight. But I wouldn't change back to a 5wt. Another option for you is a 7-1/2ft 3wt. That's what I use for brim and for trout fishing as well. The shorter rod is nice when brim fishing around trees and over hangs. I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. One thing I would recommend is a weight forward line with a barrel taper. It will make your casting much easier.

~ Multi-Trillionare Truth ~

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree you can horse those bream and small trout around pretty well with a 5 weight rod, but if your throwing a lot of streamers you may want to keep the heavier set up.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My younger brother hit me a beginner fly fishing combo and I an looking forward to using if this year. I think it'd a 4 weight so I plan on nabbing some panfish with it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My younger brother hit me a beginner fly fishing combo and I an looking forward to using if this year. I think it'd a 4 weight so I plan on nabbing some panfish with it.
That is how I learned. We would whip the fire out of that water even in the dead of the summer. It was very simple fishing. No tapered leaders, flies from wal-mart, and cut off shorts! We fished out of a 14' jon boat with bench seats. One of us would scuttle us along the bank from the front of the boat and the other would sit in the back. We took turns paddling and would fish for hours. Our casts were prob to the tune of 20 feet! HA!

I would recommend using tapered leaders though (even for panfish). If you have to, you can tie them yourself, but nowadays I just buy them.

Here is a great link for the warm water fly fisher: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/welcome.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts