Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a couple of these for my son and I. Just wondering if there is anything specific I need to look for?

If you have one, what's your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have two of the old, old Stearns float coat jackets I bought in the late 80's/early 90's and they are still functional today. They are a little stiffer than they were when new, but they are holding up well and I still use them when it starts getting really cold. They are the perfect thing to wear when running big water in the dead of winter, but I do not hunt with them on as they are too bulky.

IMO, anyone who spends time on the water during the dead of winter should consider a float coat as part of their equipment.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've got two. Onyx from academy and I spent the extra money and bought a mustang this year. The mustang was well worth the money to me for its comfort. The onyx will serve its purpose but I couldn't hardly run a boat while wearing because it was so uncomfortable and found myself not using it much. So this year I researched and spent the money on something that I actually can wear. Both jackets are warm but mustang is hands down the better coat

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I've got two. Onyx from academy and I spent the extra money and bought a mustang this year. The mustang was well worth the money to me for its comfort. The onyx will serve its purpose but I couldn't hardly run a boat while wearing because it was so uncomfortable and found myself not using it much. So this year I researched and spent the money on something that I actually can wear. Both jackets are warm but mustang is hands down the better coat
No doubt, the old ones would float you but that's all, they're so stiff they're death traps if your survival requires any coordinated movement. If you're going to wear one, go with a good one that's comfortable and functional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.