Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went flying this morning with some friends. We flew from Monticello to Lake Village. And from Lake Village up the Mississippi River to Big Island. Guys if you haven't seen this Carnage, it's a Mess. There's Very little Dry Land between the Levees. I didn't see one dry inch on the Choctaw Island Bar. On Ashbrook, 82, & Woodstock Islands near Lake Village there seemed to be more dry land. Not alot but more than others.. Big Island is probably 90% submerged. We saw Numerous flooded camps in these areas also... The Wildlife in these areas is catching hell right now....

Fellows, That area isn't going to recover any time soon... I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.........

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Did ya fly west from Big Island to the levee, and see a camp area, right across the levee from a big farm HQ, ours has a double ramp ff the levee, a big Y???? It would have been close to due west from the Dumas or Gould camp, about middle of the Island on the Ark river side and is flooded.
If you did, that's my Camp...we're maybe 4 miles from that camp on the Island............boated all over our land last weekend, and have seen it that high from the levee before, but never been in the wods when it was that high....it's something to see......and I hope it doesn't get worse, and I never see it again that high!! Had some sleepless nights worrying if my Cabin was/is going to get flooded!!!! The only completely dry land, other than a few small high spots, is the Camp area!!!

Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel........the Arkansas at Pendelton has crested and is dropping out, the Big Muddy is to crest at Ark City tomorrow, and then level out until the 20th and then start dropping......the COE has een revised the crest at Ark City, down 2/10 of a foot from 45.7 to 45.5, since Monday, so that is a good sign as well.....I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!!

One of our members flew over everything 2 weeks ago, and has some pics...I saw his, and it is an awesome sight to see!!!! Wish I could see it from the air myself!!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
We rode around on the Ms River up here (Crittenden County) 3 different days. Surprisingly, there are more dry ridges up here than I figured and they are stacked with deer. We are now seeing heards of deer that have retreated to the outside of the levy.

My question is ....

How long do you guy's think it will take for the deer to go back to their natural roaming areas behind the levy???? Everything within browsing reach for a deer will be dead for several weeks. There will be nothing for them to eat for several weeks. Do ya'll think some of the deer will permanatly relocate??

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
We rode around on the Ms River up here (Crittenden County) 3 different days. Surprisingly, there are more dry ridges up here than I figured and they are stacked with deer. We are now seeing heards of deer that have retreated to the outside of the levy.

My question is ....

How long do you guy's think it will take for the deer to go back to their natural roaming areas behind the levy???? Everything within browsing reach for a deer will be dead for several weeks. There will be nothing for them to eat for several weeks. Do ya'll think some of the deer will permanatly relocate??
I do not think they will be permanatly re-located, but it will take a while. They will have no reason to go back till there is some food to eat. I would think the White River Refuge will take a big hit from all this!! There is no telling how many deer died!! Just be glad it is not hunting season now!! It would be a slaughter if they were hearded up like this and rifle season was open!

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I had a guy tell me they boated towards his camp behind the leeve around Pendelton and saw deer hanging from trees, some still alive but in trees. Said they saw over a hundred dead. Not how accurate the counting was but it sounds bad for wildlife even if it simply displaces them for extended time during fawning. Stress could cause some pretty bad losses.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I had a guy tell me they boated towards his camp behind the leeve around Pendelton and saw deer hanging from trees, some still alive but in trees. Said they saw over a hundred dead. Not how accurate the counting was but it sounds bad for wildlife even if it simply displaces them for extended time during fawning. Stress could cause some pretty bad losses.

Oh man I hate to hear that.

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
I do not think they will be permanatly re-located, but it will take a while. They will have no reason to go back till there is some food to eat. I would think the White River Refuge will take a big hit from all this!! There is no telling how many deer died!! Just be glad it is not hunting season now!! It would be a slaughter if they were hearded up like this and rifle season was open!
I think they nomally close the season if it was to get this bad during deer season.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not the Greatest Pics. Because of the wind we had to fly pretty high. But here they are.....

Big Island

[/IMG]

Choctaw Island Bar

[/IMG]

Choctaw Island Bar

[/IMG]

Big Island

[/IMG]

Island 82

[/IMG]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.