Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend went to the Hobbs Estate shooting range Sunday after church to do a little sighting in. He was cleaning out the flash pan on his self-built lancaster style Pennsylvania rifle when the hair-trigger sear let loose and caused the hammer to fall forward. The sharp, sharp, very sharp edge of the flint was driven into his thumb by the full force of the mainspring, and cut his thumb to the bone. :eek:

Did you know you can stem the flow of arterial bleeding with cotton gun patches and half a roll of masking tape? :biggrin:

To the old man's credit, he continued shooting for another hour (!) before he let me talk him into going to the emergency room for stitches.

So, the moral of the story is, make sure the hammer is securely on half-cock before working in front of the flint, them thangs is sharp!

This has been a public service announcement!

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
Did you know you can stem the flow of arterial bleeding with cotton gun patches and half a roll of masking tape? :biggrin:

This has been a public service announcement!
Yes, and I also know that electrical tape works just as well:fit::up: I'm glad you was there, buddy.....if not he coulda bled to death!:whistle:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It weren't real purty, and I 'bout lost my lunch! He kept saying, "wrap it tighter!," all the while gritting his teeth... One tough OF for sure!

And he shot some fairly tight groups right after that..... Some folks just like to shoot! :thumb:

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was a busy day at the range! It's a little bit of a trip to get there, so Larry wasn't about to just go home, we stayed and shot!

He discovered what he did wrong, though. He was supposed to have shims between the trigger guard and stock to allow proper space between the trigger and sear. He got in a hurry and forgot the shims when he was getting ready, and well, the sear wouldn't hold the hammer without the shims! He built the rifle himself and has done this operation hundreds of times, but you only need to forget once!

He ended up with a serious "hair trigger" and when he bumped the hammer at full cock, it just slipped and bit him. Another public service announcement!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.