Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to use to fish for flathead with rod and reel. I thought about big minnows or something, any tips or pointers would be great. I have never caught one, but caught lots of cats. I'm going tomorrow so any help would be great. I'm going to a pretty good size creek where they catch quite a few and most of them are good size, 5, 10lbs. plus. I need to know what to use and how to use it, tie the sinker on the end of the line and let the bait swim above some or what?? Thank you so much and if we catch some i'll have to put up some pictures. :up: Also what about jugs any of ya'll catch flatheads on jugs.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
flatheads in that size range should bite well on live crawdads. At that size craws are the primary food source. Big minnows or goldfish should also work. I did find a place in DesArc last year that sold slicks of all sizes so you could get some small ones if you needed them. Good luck and post some pics when you get done!

· Registered
14,538 Posts
I catch them on jugs with bream. One thing I've had to do different in that regard... I used to always just use stinkbait or liver on my jugs, and I never put any weights on them. With bream, you need a sinker on there, or they'll pull it all over the place. I guess that's not necessarily bad, but it can make finding the jugs a little tougher.
I've tried using heavy weights below the hook to anchor the bream next to a ledge or something, but usually that just twists the line all up. It might work with a big 3-way swivel.
I've never fished flatheads on a rod and reel, but I figure a bream below a heavy slip sinker ought to work.

· Registered
684 Posts
We usually use bream, hooked through the back, suspended about 18-24 inches above the bottom. Sinker on the bottom, hook about 24 inches up, and a 2" cork bobber 2' ft above that. This rig keeps your bait up off the bottom and easier for a flathead to find. I also take a pair of ***** and cut off the sharp tips of the fins. Leave about 6" of slack in the loop you tie your hook to off the main line. We have found circle hooks work real well on bigger fish (30 to 60 lbs). Good Luck!:biggrin:

· Registered
2,691 Posts
Don't know about your area but Green Sunfish (Riceslicks) are the best here. We usually find Sunfish of some type or Shad in their stomachs. But they will eat almost anything live that will fit their mouths. For smaller fish use 3 or 4'' baits, but for bigguns bigger is best. Make sure and use plenty big enough hook so the bait won't hinder hook ups. It's best to give a Flathead lots of slack and not set the hook right away. Alot of times you'll just pull the bait out of their mouths if you don't give them time to swallow the bait. I pefer to hook my bait through the eyes or nostrils as they tend to swallow the bait headfirst. No need to remove any spines as they eat them anyway and you damage the bait trying this. The livelier the bait the better in my book.

I use noodles (jug lines) baited with live Riceslicks. We just use a braided line and a good Stainless Steel Hook on our noodles. Bait the Riceslick with the hook through the eyes and turn it loose. Don't mess with them too quickly even if you see one moving . Give them lots of time to swallow the baits.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input, how do you set up a jug line. I have only done yoyo's before, never trotlined or used jugs. I need some advice on all of this, and how do you hook the mud cats on the lines. I have some 6/0 stainless hooks to use. When is the best time to catch flatheads, at night or daytime and where are good places to set lines. I don't know if they need to be in deep water, run it across the channel or what.

Thanks for all your help so far and keep it coming. :up:

· Registered
3,592 Posts
I was wondering what fiddlers grown into. I know what blue cat's, white cat's and flatheads are. Are fiddlers the same as a channel when they get bigger. We are trot lining on the white river and caught several of each kind.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arkie, Where ya'll fishing the saline or somewhere around there?? I think we're going to try to use a cast net and catch some bait fish or fish in a pond for mud cats and bream. Is it necessary to have a big swivel on the end of the line on the jugs?? I'm going out tomorrow and maybe tomorrow night possibly.
Thanks everyone.
Angela

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.