FLAT SCREEN TV's.......ENERGY GUZZLERS......

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by HANDGUNNER, Jan 4, 2008.

1. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

I saw this on our company website the other day, and after the Heat Pump thread......thought ya'll might be interested!!

The Edison Electric Institute (EEI), the EPA, and Oxford University have independently found that FLAT SCREEN TV's use considerably more energy than conventional sets. NBC News reported that a conventional set uses about 100 watts of energy, an LCD screen about twice that much, and PLASMA screens up to 600 watts !!!

energy Star ratings for flat screens are not due out until mid-year.

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I guess that's why mine shuts itself off after it knows I went asleep:thumb:

3. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Oh my whata difference.....I am planning to get one errrggg !
    Is it true that the normal TV's will be obsolete in 2009 ? Heard that you'll have to upgrade to digital to be able to watch it .....:confused:

4. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

CRAP? I just bought one. :smack:

5. HANDGUNNER

Been hearing the same, but I don't think all TV's will be affected...just the older models.....there is some advertisement on the tube saying something about some type of converter box or something that will allow some TV's to work on the Digital system......not an expert on the TV's:biggrin:

6. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

:confused: Isnt any TV that has a remote and digital numbers a Digital TV

If so then how many people still have a turn knob TV still working in use ???

I go in and out of house day in day out and I bet I havent seen 10 in the past 5 yrs and those where in some lil ole ladies house and she just stacked the new one on top of it ...

7. Redcloud35

Redcloud35 Well-Known Member

:fit: :fit:

No.

8. HANDGUNNER

Ya beat me to it RedCloud!!!

9. Redcloud35

I've had my 42" LCD for about 4 mo. now, I haven't noticed any difference in my elec. bill.

10. HANDGUNNER

I really don't believe that it will ake that much difference in your monthly bill, unless maybe it is on 24/7/365...........

11. Redcloud35

I sure have noticed a difference in the picture though, HD is really awesome on this set, but still only 720P, I can't wait till HDDVD or Blue Ray comes down to a decent price range so I can see it in 1080P.

12. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

ok laugh but what makes 1 digital then ?? thank you...

I have a 2 yr old 57" Hitachi WS HDTV.. So I'm sure I'm ok :biggrin:

My kids are lil cheapies from walmart so how can I tell ?? besides they quit working in the future :biggrin:

13. Redcloud35

Unless your tv has a built in digital tuner you will have to have a converter box from your local cable tv provider or satellite company, no matter where they were purchased or how much they cost. So, your kids tv's will work fine, you'll just have to get a converter box to make them recieve the digital signal.:thumb:

14. We just got a new 50" Plasma HD 1080i tv and love it!! We also upgraded to the highdef channels with our satellite and you can tall a big differnce!! The picture is sooo clear we our installing our new surround sound speakers this afternoon!!

15. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

I tell you what, I don't know what that equates in money difference but I will say its sure heck of a better picture.

16. Selfbow

Selfbow ...

Only over-the-air signals (rabbit ears) will be effected.

If you have cable or dish you will not have anything to worry about in 2009.

17. tony r

tony r Moderator<br>Bowhunting<br>Guns, Ammunition, Reloa

:thumb: that is the way i understand it too

18. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

1080 will be obsolete around 2011? They are working on something like a 4000. Technology.

19. Gruntcall

Gruntcall Well-Known Member

What is the digital television transition?
    At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.
    What is the TV Converter Box Coupon Program?
    Congress created the TV Converter Box Coupon Program for households wishing to keep using their analog TV sets after February 17, 2009. The Program allows U.S. households to obtain up to two coupons, each worth $40, that can be applied toward the cost of eligible converter boxes.
    A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program.

Consumers have a variety of options. Options to explore include:
    1. Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after Feb. 17, 2009, or
    2. Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service, or
    3. Purchase a television with a digital tuner.

Here's a link for a coupon towards a converter box if anyone needs it.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

20. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

I have a 50" plasma 1080i tv and havent noticed any difference in energy usage.