Arkansas Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Been shooting the old yellow ferrule Rage Extremes for years now and wouldn’t go back to fixed blade broadheads. Except for my recurve I shoot cut on contact for it.
The compound I shoot today with those extremes bones don’t matter.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I have a combination of mechs and solids. I lean toward the solid blades more. Magnus black hornets are my favorite. What i like about the Magnus is they are a true cut on contact head and the arrow will zip through the deer and they won’t have such a severe reaction as a mechanic or a solid with a chisel tip. All the deer I’ve shot with a Magnus all fell within sight because they aren’t running like the blue blazes from an impact. The downfall of a solid blade is they show tuning or form errors. Most broadheads I’ve shot were a 1 and done, the black hornet is the only one I’ve had that I’ve been able to just touch up and stick back in the quiver.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I usually stay out of the whole expandable fixed blade debate,but I had a real life experience Monday! I shot a bear at about 8 yards with a slick trick and it blew through him so fast he didn’t know what happened just slowly started walking off. This freaked me out so I grabbed another arrow to shoot him again the arrow I grabbed had a muzzy hybrid broadhead on it. The bear was at 30 yards quartering away when I shot the broad head hit the ribs, didn’t penetrate the rib cage travelled along the ribs and out the same side by the shoulder. This was a complete unlethal hit on a good shot angle and would have cost me a bear of a lifetime had it not been a second shot. So I’ll stick with slick tricks

·
Registered
308 Posts
My biggest problem with fixed blades are they never shot the same as my field tips, or as consistent. They may be better now, Ive not tried any in many years. For Whitetails the mechanicals are my choice. They shoot good and are deadly. As I guide, I will say there is one mechanical that makes me have to call for the dog more than any others. If you shoot very many deer with a bow you will lose some. That is a fact.
Which one is it?

·
Premium Member
30,252 Posts
Btech is right - if you bowhunt long enough, you are probably going to lose some game. I have killed a bear with a rage in Ontario I am pretty sure I would not have recovered had I been using a fixed blade. I lost an elk I shot with a slick trick I might have recovered if I had been using a mechanical. I would caution against writing off a bh - or falling in love with one - over one good or bad experience. I have shot a fair many deer and hundreds of hogs with a bow. One year, I used 8 different broadheads. And what I use doesnt mean it would be best for everyone else

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Meat eater podcast just had a cool interview with the owner of Iron Will broadheads. There’s some very good info on there about what makes a broadhead affective. Most interesting part is when he talks about the amount of force that is needed for certain feral types to penetrate a deers hide.

·
Super Moderator
9,869 Posts
I prefer fixed. With them I get pass-throughs. The deer I shot with a Rage wasn't. I just shoot Muzzy 3-blades. Tried and true.

·
Premium Member
30,252 Posts
I’ve got pass throughs 100% of the time with rage hypodermic 125’s. Maybe it’s just luck but I don’t think it is.
I agree. Get pass throughs with rage just over 90% of the time on deer. Almost exactly the same as with a fixed blade. Big hogs a different story - although I dont really worry about it. Hogs tend to fight it and dont haul a$$ like deer after the shot. I find more hogs shot with mechanical and no pass through than fixed blade and pass through. It is not so much about blood on ground as it is internal bleeding and quick kill

61 - 80 of 82 Posts