Fishing kayaks

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by gravedigger30, May 15, 2018.

1. gravedigger30

gravedigger30 Well-Known Member

I recently got a new kayak as an anniversary gift. I'm planning on setting it up as a 'fishing' kayak. Do any of yall have fishing specific kayaks? What are must haves and can't live withouts?

2. Buckbob

Buckbob Well-Known Member

I just have a regular kayak, but fishing pole holders and a small anchor have come in handy for me. I try to keep it simple when I’m in a kayak, so sometimes I just have a life jacket, paddle, fishing pole, and small tackle bag.

3. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    A milk crate for your stuff and deck netting/ straps to cover it so you don’t lose it if you flip or knock your stuff off the side. 2 rod holders. A small anchor. I’ve used a drift sock if it was windy but not essential. A waterproof box for your wallet/phone/keys. A stringer or basket if keeping fish. I carried a net when salt water fishing.

4. stick n string

stick n string Well-Known Member

Warren
    I have a Jackson Coosa HD and an Ascend FS128T. The Jackson is on a whole new level compared to the ascend. I would suggest paddle keeper, rod leashes, and bungies. A net if you don’t already use one. And fish grips in case you catch a big one and need to wait for someone to paddle to you for a pic. Clip it to their lip and set it in the water. It attaches to your yak. A drag chain is always nice if you’re in a flowing stream. Or an anchor and trolley if on a lake, so the wind isn’t always spinning you.

5. Moon Shepherd

Moon Shepherd Active Member

I have a question too, what do you guys use specifically to keep your catches before returning to shore?

6. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

I also like to keep it simple. I usually have my tackle box or bag, two rods, net and a cooler. Sometimes I just take a chest pack, instead of a box or bag, when I don't want to take too many lures and such.

7. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

I use a cooler with ice mostly and sometimes a stringer hung over in the water.

Moon Shepherd likes this.
  8. sricen

sricen Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

9. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

An anchor trolley is nice if you are fishing in the wind or current. Can't live without rod holders when you are moving and a paddle holder if you are anchored. I just put a fishfinder on mine, Garmin Striker 4. Leash everything down that you can for when, NOT IF, you dump it. I have a 1' pvc pole I put an orange flag on for when I'm in a high boat traffic area. I like to be seen.

JHS76 likes this.
  10. TrophyFishR

TrophyFishR Well-Known Member

life jacket that can be worn while paddling & fishing
    onion sack to keep up with trash
    hand saw for bushwhacking thru logjams
    extra rope/parachute cord for dragging the canoe or setting up day camp
    very sharp pocket knife
    handgun
    waterproof boxes (pelicans or tupperware with snap lids)
    dry bag for extra clothes

11. gravedigger30

gravedigger30 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I have paddle clips, extra pad eyes and bungee, an anchor trolley kit, and stuff to make a crate on order. I also have a lowrance hook3 that I'm planning on installing in it. Soon as I get back to Arkansas I'll have some tinkering to do.

12. stick n string

stick n string Well-Known Member

Warren
    Search for Flukemaster and Chad Hoover on YouTube. Both have very good instructional videos with tips and tricks for fishing from a yak.