Votes: 7 7.0%
  • If it's brown, it's down

Votes: 61 61.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally don't shoot a doe during the first week or two of deer season. My theory is to just let 'em walk for the time being, because I've taken several of my best bucks during the first week or so of bow season. Problem is, if I hold off too long, the rut is here, and I don't want to shoot a doe, because I'm looking for that buck to follow. I have no issues with shooting does,and I will do so when the time is right. What about you? ( I guess I could have left that middle option out)

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I voted nothing but mature bucks since that has always been my philosophy, however I've always had a nice buck pin pointed, which is not the case yet this year. So unless this changes I'll be putting the smack down on a nanny opening weekend :smack: I haven't given up yet though :cool:

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I feel like the sooner I can take a doe the better, so if one presents a shot in the first week, I usually will take it. However, I have this one little spot I hunt that I really don't need to shoot any does. I don't even shoot a doe there in several years. I usually see twice the number of bucks as does, unfortunately they are mostly small scrub bucks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have given does on my property a free pass long enough. I herby publicly annouce I am declaring WAR on them this year. If a mature buck walks by his days are most likely numbered as well. I'll have friends hunting my place this year as well, so October 1st let the killing begin.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Most years I will shoot the first big doe I see but I still have some deer meat left so I will probably hold out for a good buck. I always shoot a doe in late December and January anyway. Horns first this year unless I get antsy.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Primarily I hunt for Does because we cannot shoot them in the Modern Gun or ML seasons. Zone 8. However if Bullwinkle stops by, he goes down.:biggrin: any immature bucks walk on till next year. I hope other hunters in my area feel the same way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.