First Time Turkey Hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by JR, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

I have never been turkey hunting before, and I am planning on going this spring. What tips or suggestions would you give to a first timer?

JR

2. Don't go.........it will become an obession, more so than hunting deers:thumb: and the first time you get one coming in on you and it changes its mind and goes another direction it will cause severe mental issues that will haunt you.

But get a box call, owl call and start practicing now. Box calls to me are the easiest to use. Pattern your gun, get a decoy, headnet, gloves, and a vest to tote it all around in and just go. Pretty much all there is to it. One of them things you just kinda learn as you go in the woods

3. JR

:biggrin: That's what they told me about duck hunting. I'm very lucky to have such an understanding and supportive wife. What kind of box call (brand) would you recommend?

4. I got a Primos, it does a decent job. My dad has a yellow yelper made by a guy in Rison, AR. This thing is sweet (so i just borrow it all the time). Guy makes his own calls, and a lot of folks down south use them. He is usually at the big buck classic, I think someone may also sell them online for him.

5. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Patience is the key :cool:

6. wildgameassassin

wildgameassassin Well-Known Member

x2 on the Yellow Yelper, everthing his makes is SWEET, my only tip is patience patience patience.

7. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Take all your money and throw it out the window while driving down the road.
    Pound on your legs until you can't walk.
    Beat on the shoulder that you mount your gun to until you can't move it.
    Roll around in a briar patch until you are all cut up.
    Don't go to sleep for about 3 days.

Now the most important part.

Find the nearest brick wall and bang your head on it about 8 or 10 times then go to the store and buy the biggest Butterball they have.
    Congratulations; you just had a succesful turkey hunt.
    Now go rest up so you can do it again tomorrow. :smack:

8. JR

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

9. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Get busy and find a buddy that is an experienced turkey hunter. Perhaps this can save you years of training through hard knocks and mistakes that cause nearly got'em mistakes from happening. :thumb:

10. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Hooks Custom Calls I think it is in batesville but am not sure. They make a sweet box call. They have a website but I am not sure of the web address.

11. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Yellow Yelper calls are sweet.
    Dont be afraid to pick up a push-pin style call either. They're the absolute easiest to use, and I know a couple of experienced hunters that kill the heck out of birds with them. I like Quaker Boy's. Calling's overrated. Just err on the side of calling sparsly until you get comfortable.
    Pick where you're going to hunt, and start scouting now. Plan on doing a bunch of listening at sun up in March and early April. Listen for gobblers and see if you can hear where they like to go. When I started turkey hunting I was amazed how many people were in the woods. If you're hunting public, find a bunch of birds, so you've got other gobblers to go to if there's too many hunters in your spot.
    For a basic technique-type book I seem to remember Jerome Robinson's "In the Turkey Woods" being a good one.

12. JR

Hey thanks, I looked them up on the web, and they are not located too far from where I live. I may just have to give them a call.

13. big buck down

big buck down Member<br>2012 Photo Contest Winner

everything thing Hobbshunter said, except for the book part, never read it....

you may not learn alot from every bird you get on, but every bird should teach you something....also gotta learn when to hold'em and when it's time to fold'em

14. bullr

bullr Active Member

turkey

whatever you do never call at them before season

15. Manybeards

Get in Good shape between now and then. Especially being your up in the mountains

16. Manybeards

If you hear a bunch of turkeys PM me and tell me where you heard them :razz:

17. dunnhead

dunnhead Well-Known Member

Is it the #11 box call on this page y'all are talking about?
    http://www.yellowyelper.com/

A lot of the guys on the NWTF forum rave about Hook's mouth calls. I'm going to have to get some before season starts.

18. Bruin

Bruin Well-Known Member

1.) Find the best turkey hunter in the area.
    Ask him where the birds are.
    Go the other way from where he says. :biggrin:

2.) Learn to use a mouth call.

3.) Find a good therapist.
    :thumb:

19. spit-n-drum

spit-n-drum Well-Known Member

1. The more you know about the woods the better.
    2. The more you know about the turkeys habits, the better.
    3. Know how to course them and get in close, but don't bump them.
    4. Know what your gun is capable of.
    5. Be able to make error free yelps and clucks. Don't call too much

20. spit-n-drum

spit-n-drum Well-Known Member

Somehow my response posted prematurely!

Anyway, I could go on and on. You can learn alot from listening to old timers, but most of it is just trial and error. Just when you think you have screwed up every possible way, you will find another way to screw up. Just when you think you have it all figured out, you will get humbled. I go from loving turkeys to hating turkeys to back to loving turkeys. I remember going through the motions of turkey hunting and I didn't believe I was going to kill the bird. Heck, when I dreamed about turkeys I never sealed the deal. Now, every time I go in the woods I think I am going to kill him. When I dream about them now, they bite the dirt. It is just a state of mind. You will eventually gain a confidence that will allow you to stay with a quiet bird those extra hours. You will begin to lay your hands on more and more of them and the screw ups will become fewer and farther between.

Also, I would start out with slate call. I had to learn with an old box call and that thing was too temperamental for a kid to have to use. IMO, nothing sounds as good as a slate that is that easy to use. You can literally draw circles to yelp. I pretty much only use a "Cody" slate and good cutting mouth calls.

Just my 2 cents worth!