Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm seriously considering turkey hunting this year (Cleveland county) for the first time in my life. I've got a 1963 Browning Auto 5 12 gauge, full choke and a good "dog house" ground blind that I use for deer hunting.

1. Other than a diaphram call, what call should I get that will be easy to master?

2. What calls should I master, such as clucking, putting, etc.

3. What type of ammo should I use in my Browning shotgun?

4. Do I need a decoy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
404 Posts
1. Other than a diaphram call, what call should I get that will be easy to master?
(a) A push-button: If you're looking for an easy, but deadly call, this is your first option.
(b) Box. Also pretty easy to master. A hickory-walnut combo usually sounds great. I've had my best luck with an osage orange box. It just has this pitch that drives 'em nuts.
(c) Crow/owl/woodpecker. The most common locater calls are by far the owl and crow.

(a) The yelp is the most common turkey sound. Know how to go loud and extremely quiet. With yelping it's all about cadence and rhytym.
(b) Cluck and Purr. It's a content call that says, "Hey big boy, I'm over here and you're over there, so get your big beard over here."

(a) Any #4, 5, or 6. You call in a turkey to 30 yards and shoot him where the skin meets the feathers, it won't matter what you're shooting.

4. Do I need a decoy?
(a) I would say yes. A single hen, maybe two. But know when to use them and when to recognize that you must sit your butt down and get your gun up. Early season, when there aren't many leaves on the trees, decoys work a little better. As it gets thicker, you won't have to rely on it as much unless your field hunting or hunting in an open area.

And one more thing, take something to sit on, whether it be a vest with a padded seat, or a padded seat by itself. I would suggest a small black trash bag in wet weather as well so your butt doesn't get the itchies when Mr. Bigbeard shows up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
And just in case your wondering:

1) Turkeys' eyes are as good as deers' noses, so move your eyes, NOT your head.
2) Always sit 45 minutes to an hour longer on a bird that quits gobbling on you. You will be surprised how you will think the hunt is over, move to stand up, and the bastage takes off from 10 yards behind you. Which brings me to:
3) Be creative. Not all birds walk up straight in front of you, so be ready for anything.
4) NEVER call to a bird that has already answered you to see if he is coming in. I'm not talking about maneuvering on a bird to get set-up, I'm saying if you're sitting, don't keep calling to him to see if he's coming. Give him the blue-***** (round circular objects) and he'll come looking for you.
5) Read this next one as many times as you can. Think about it when you're driving to work, day-dreaming of shooting that big gobbler, and any other time you can. The advice? When you finally put the bead on a turkey's neck, think: HEAD DOWN ON THE STOCK, HEAD DOWN ON THE STOCK. That way, you won't get caught up in the show and miss.
6) Start saving now. You will need the money when you finally kill one and get the incredibly amazing addiction that is spring turkey hunting.

Good luck my friend. I hope you get a biggin!

·
3,605 Posts
270WIN

I killed the biggest turkey of my life on my first turkey hunt. TWO 12" beards, 1 1/2" spurs and 23 lbs.
I called him in with a diaphram that I had purchased 2 days before at Walmart. I have much more gear now but I'm probably not any better at calling than I was back then.

I hope that you are lucky as I was!

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellers, I really appreciate it! :thumb:

I've heard the biggest difference between a turkey and a deer is this:

"A deer thinks every man he sees is a tree stump. A turkey thinks every tree stump he sees is a man!" :up:

Thanks again guys, anyone else got tips for a newbie? :confused:

.270Win

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Ok, I'm seriously considering turkey hunting this year (Cleveland county) for the first time in my life. I've got a 1963 Browning Auto 5 12 gauge, full choke and a good "dog house" ground blind that I use for deer hunting.

1. Other than a diaphram call, what call should I get that will be easy to master?the ivory-bill

2. What calls should I master, such as clucking, putting, etc. yes those will be good

3. What type of ammo should I use in my Browning shotgun? #5s or #6s buffered

4. Do I need a decoy?one of a hen and one of a stump:razz:

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

.270Win
WHUT?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
.270....you need the most complicated and fancy call you can find, so you can make some strange noises and scare all the turkeys to my side of the county:thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
And just in case your wondering:

1) Turkeys' eyes are as good as deers' noses, so move your eyes, NOT your head.
2) Always sit 45 minutes to an hour longer on a bird that quits gobbling on you. You will be surprised how you will think the hunt is over, move to stand up, and the bastage takes off from 10 yards behind you. Which brings me to:
3) Be creative. Not all birds walk up straight in front of you, so be ready for anything.
4) NEVER call to a bird that has already answered you to see if he is coming in. I'm not talking about maneuvering on a bird to get set-up, I'm saying if you're sitting, don't keep calling to him to see if he's coming. Give him the blue-***** (round circular objects) and he'll come looking for you.
5) Read this next one as many times as you can. Think about it when you're driving to work, day-dreaming of shooting that big gobbler, and any other time you can. The advice? When you finally put the bead on a turkey's neck, think: HEAD DOWN ON THE STOCK, HEAD DOWN ON THE STOCK. That way, you won't get caught up in the show and miss.
6) Start saving now. You will need the money when you finally kill one and get the incredibly amazing addiction that is spring turkey hunting.

Good luck my friend. I hope you get a biggin!
That is one good piece of advice!!!!!!!!!!

My son has missed 3 birds because of that!!

Now one that I believe...........buy one shotgun that you only turkey hunt with. short barrel for quick on target moves when needed. A good set of fiber optic sights like tru glo snap on ones.

I use a Rem 870 in advantage camo. because I abuse it.
next to duck hunting your turkey gun is highly abused ..........if your really hunting.
If your in pursuit to get close you'll cross creeks ,through thickets and anything else to get close.
You'll crawl and fall and that gun gets the abuse.

I used to laugh at people that said things like that ..........until I got the disease!!!!!!

The number #2 advice has happened more than once to me.

The number #4 one .............I sometimes can't resist the temptation of hearing him gobble. If he's hot I just have to work him...

I have had them stove up doing this:smack:

remember it can take a while to be successful...........it took me several years to finally get one. Be persisitant and when you pull the trigger on that first one.......... your hooked!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.270....you need the most complicated and fancy call you can find, so you can make some strange noises and scare all the turkeys to my side of the county:thumb:
:fit: That's likely to be the case no matter which call I use! :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
1. Other than a diaphram call, what call should I get that will be easy to master? Box Call

Yelp-Loud, Medium, Soft

Pattern your gun. Prob #5's or 6's

4. Do I need a decoy?
I would say yes to this one. Be aware of where you put it if you are in a heavly hunted area.

I suggest you never start turkey hunting. You will never be able to quit.:biggrin:

·
Registered
751 Posts
270win, i killed my first turkey with my '65 A5, full choke. I was shooting 2.75" winchester #5s, 1 5/8oz at 40yds - it probably fell deader than any turkey i've shot since with my "modern" guns. i'd still hunt with it if it didn't have that 30" shiny barrel.

like what was said before, pattern your gun, but hope the shell recommendation gives you a starting point.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Well now....that might be worth considering! Your woods or mine? :thumb:

.270Win
Why heck we might have to try both:thumb:

And if we have no luck on our paid land we may just have to hit the national forest.

You just gotta kill a bird so you can contract the disease. We can work on it.:wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts