Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing some planting in a short pine thicket that has three lanes about 100 yards each. It's in zone 12. And ideas what would be a good spring plot and then for the hunting season? Never done a plot before so assume I'll need to lime it soon, then have some 13-13-13 for when the seed goes down.

:head::flag:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Lots of lime. I'd focus on cereal grains the first year or two.

Spring plots for deer are tough in pine plantation south arkansas...... I finally just went with fall plantings that go through spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I get that kins of seed? Do I have to get that high dollar stuff or will a co op carry it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
its really hard trying to grow anything in conditions you mention. if nothing has been planted there before you can bet the farm the soil is really poor. trying to plant spring plot that will last into fall not likely, clover is good spring/fall plot BUT you got poor soil and hot summer that will put hurt on clover. if it were mine i would forget this spring and work it up and lime it after soil test. this fall you can plant rye/wheat or oats. also clover works better in fall plantings due to pests and summer heat. btw get soil test before you lime

1 - 5 of 5 Posts