Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's a amazing! I just don't think I will ever give up hunting out west in the mountains. I love the grind. It's fun here ins. Stand, but camping and hiking to find the animal is so much fun... Lots of work

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We are really considering the horses. We have arabs now...my draft cross is retired. And while the arabs can't pack as much meat...they can carry us out...and enough back to make it worthwhile. We plan to expose them to elk scent on the buffalo, and pack some deer on them to see how they handle it. They are smart, solid trail horses already. We do also have a mule that belongs to my father in law that supposedly packed before he got him. We will investigate that. We would also then want my father in law to go so that someone can watch the horses in camp on the times we don't use them. I'm not comfortable leaving them alone all day. And he has said he'd love to go with us and do that.
We always had Arabians when I was growing up and we took them to Colorado elk hunting every year. We could split an entire bull between my mare and my stepdads gelding and they carried it just fine, of course we would lead them when they were loaded. I put a hell of a lot of miles on horseback in Colorado and there's just really nothing that compares to it. Something about being out west in the mountains miles and miles away from any kind of civilization, just feels like we should still live that way every day. I'm glad you guys got a chance to go, wish y'all would have filled a tag but either way it sounds like a successful trip!

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@bowhunter23 That's great to hear about your arabians. I often enjoy the misconceptions some folks have about the breed. Yes a lot of the show ring bred animals are squirrely and hot tempered...but our trail geldings are as quiet and willing as they come. They don't know the word quit and handle tough terrain with ease. They are smart and curious. I think they might do very well. And they aren't small or fine boned. My gelding is about 15 hands and solid.

The more I hear opinions from you all...the more I want to get our horses tested with some deer packing and exposure to elk scent etc this season.

Our 2 geldings...

Horse Plant Tree Saddle Working animal

Horse Sky Helmet Vertebrate Cloud

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Which direction did you hunt from Kremmling? I was there in July and done a white water raft trip on the Colorado River just south of town. On the way to the river I saw the biggest herd of elk I've ever seen. Had to be 150-200 hd.
We were in the Flat tops Wilderness area a couple of hours west of Kremmling.

·
Grand Member
13,725 Posts
I had an Arabian/Quarter Horse cross mare back in my teen years, in other words a very long time ago. That was the fastest moving, especially turning, horse I've ever sat on. We used her for a cutting horse and she'd get out from under you when working cattle if you didn't pay attention.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I enjoyed your pic's and story--
My Hunting buddy was going to go out there.. He told me he had always wonted to go and he did---He had lots of fun
The snow was all over the place when he went--I can only remember him telling me that he took a mule deer from laying in the snow with the gun resting on a little high spot filled with snow and when he shot the deer the blast blew snow all over him.
He is passed on now after over 30 good years of us hunting together. I had a chance to take the tent he bought to take out there but said I had no place to use it.

-It was white and about 10x10 with a hole in the top for a stove pipe. I should have took it and could have found some one that could use it.

Three years after he passed his wife passed--
You see he had also been my pastor for about 8 years.
--My wife and I got to be real close to them--I miss them so much. They had only one child a daughter and one granddaughter I got to hunt a trip with them at different times--They were great shots.-- and I love them also. I don't know if the tent is still there.

Well most of this was about Hunting In Colorado. Your story made me think of him and his one trip out there. - Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Aww. Thank you for sharing that @sparkie . Hunting makes for some great friends and great memories.

And that reminds me to say that my husband and I spent 10 days together, 8 of them in those mountains with no cell service, TV or any other humans to talk to...and we loved it. We just truly enjoy being together. And that's something I pray we never take for granted.

·
Registered
15,785 Posts
Still sounds like a great time, which is the most important. Like I told my brother leaving Wyo last week...there's alway next time!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts