First catch ever, what was yours?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by blsmith2000, Dec 22, 2012.

1. blsmith2000

blsmith2000 Well-Known Member

Just getting started trapping and caught my first coon in a dp last night. I also made a few dirt sets while I was out. First catch was awesome and can't wait to run them in the morning. Man this stuff is fun!

What was yall's first catch?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356203679.519814.jpg

2. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    my very first catch was a mouse in a mouse trap from then on i was hooked. now ive caught bobcats, yotes, coons, foxes, possums, skunks, muskrats, beavers,....... its addictive

3. Alpha

Alpha Member On Double Secret Probation

15 lb sow coon.....

4. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SWA
    Just like 90% of trappers starting out (I assume) my first catch was a possum

5. Dmille5

Dmille5 Well-Known Member

X2 on the possum prolly caught 8 or 10 before my first coon,but it was very exciting catching those grinners!!! Congrats on your first catch.

6. beefed_up

beefed_up Well-Known Member

My first catch was a bobcat about three weeks ago..It spoiled me :)

7. Possum with a trap my GP gave me. It was about 1957 and the place i caught it is now a park in Little Rock now, on Rodney Parham road near 430. Ran a few traps before school.

8. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

My first catch was a muskrat in Eleven Point river. the second trap I checked that day had a coon in it. The next day I caught a big boar mink in the trap that caught the muskrat and caught a sow mink on dry land and another coon. My dad was schooling me on trapping at the time. I was 15 and had caught 80 dollars worth of fur in 2 days. I was hooked.

9. sam

sam Grand Member

Skunk, everytime I trapped as a kid I would catch every skunk in area before I catch would anything else and then that was usually a possum .

10. quackandmild

quackandmild Well-Known Member

Here's my first beaver caught Monday. Set three snares Sunday afternoon and he was waiting when I got there Monday mid-morning.

11. geslayton

geslayton Well-Known Member

Mine was a possum followed closely by a gray fox. Same day, just the fox was farther down the line.

12. blsmith2000

Well, I caught that first possum this morning.... Only thing in the dp's. I guess I fed a rabbit to something also. Looked like cat tracks at the set. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356278918.763860.jpg

13. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

The first time I set traps I set 2 traps, about 10 yards apart, got there the next morning and had a coon in one and a gray fox in the other, 100% catch on a trap line :thumb:
    Wish I could do that again :smack:

14. d.bobo

d.bobo Well-Known Member

hope
    My first was a coon found some my grandpas old traps in the barn he told me how to set them . after about a week finaly got one I tought I was a real mountain man .

15. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

My first catch was a big boar coon. My Dad and I set a snare and some other traps along a creek. The next morning we had a nice coon in the snare.

16. Draftstud

Draftstud Well-Known Member

I am like Sam, my first 3 animals were Skunks! And I ran my trapline on a Cushman Eagle! LOL Wish I still had the Cushman, Dang it. John

17. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

My first catch was mink. I trapped alot as a kid then the fur market dropped like a rock. I still have about 200 steel traps up in the shop loft. Back in my young days every muskrat caught I bought a new steel trap started out with a dozen. Today I only trap around here at work when the beavers start causing problems.

18. quackandmild

quackandmild Well-Known Member

First catch in my new 280s. Guess the snow got him out looking for food

Attached Files:

19. blsmith2000

Good stories and pics guys! I've caught several possums since my first post. Still trying to connect with a cat or yote.....