Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed my first bowfishing adventure!!!!

Pretty cool.... I had hoped to get to shoot some buffalo, but that didn;t work out. I did kill a pair of gar and missed a few others.... GOOD TIMES!!!!!

My 11 yr old daughter went with me and she thought it was the greatest thing in the world!!!

We've already got a plan to go next weekend again and hope some of the water drops and clears up a bit!!!

I can see where this could get to be a habit!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
What kind of bow are you using? I have a couple recurves that I thought would make a cool fishing setups.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
That's something that Ive always thought Id like but havent gotten around to trying yet.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have a digital camera to take any pics. I took a couple with a little disposable but that was all.

As far as bow set-up.... very PWT!!! I have on old Bear Whitetail II that I still use to bowhunt with. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna by a new bow, but I never do. I bought a fishing arrow in Harrisburg Saturday and took a plastic "jar" that had a screw on lid and drilled hole through the lid and took a 5/16 machine thread bolt and some washers and put it where the stabilizer goes. Screwed the jar on and took some orange surveryor's/mason's line and hand reeled about 40' onto it. I took a couple of practice shots with it and then went to it!!!

Pretty Spartan I admit... and not the most effcient set-up. I missed several shots while I was hand winding the line back on, but it was fun and at least now I know i may want to actually come up with a "real reel"!!!

My brother has a recurve stashed somewhere tha I plan to try to get and the rig it up. I doubt I could hit anything with it!! But it's worth a shot... no pun intended!!!

Every field close to the St. Francis and Cache Rivers has several places to try it out and our pond on Cache River is flooded over so when the water drops back to the river I'm headed there with my slough boat!!!

I'll never make a "real" bowfisherman... but I'll sure be going back again. Like Saturday and Sunday afternoons this week!!!!

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
snydedawg, you might find shooting fish with a recurve is actually quite easy or at least I thought so. I think it has to do with shooting fish is more of a reaction rather than an actual draw, aim and shoot situation for me.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone tells me that... but I ain't too sure what my "bow" reactions are!!!!

I plan to locate a recurve somewhere and give it a try, I do think it would be easier... well, not easier maybe; but more efficient than trying to draw and line up a peep and such as that!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Have y'all seen that "Country Fried Video" (Bill Engval's show) where they're shooting those invasive-species fish that jump when you motor boat by them?

They've been a real problem in some areas--the fish hear a boat comming and jump into the air, and if you're traveling in an open boat, you could end up "wearing" one of those suckers, and they get big!

In the video, these guys are shooting these fish with bow and arrow as they jump clear of the water in the boat's wake, looked like loads of fun!! I bet it would be almost as much fun to use a shotgun for that, but the ticket might be expensive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts