Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunner's Mate and I have been trying to get this stand re-built and in place for about 6 months!!! Saturday afternoon, it was in it's new home!!! What once was a 4'X4', is now a 4'X6' ........

Still got a little touch up work on it, and to anchor it, so if the river floods again, it'll stay there!!!!!

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or you on mine:whistle:

Built that one in 2002..the frame/legs are 1 1/2" angle, bolted to a couple of old crossarms for skids, where I could drag it around some.......took a little re-design to built back as a 4X6..........gonna get a couple of 'swamp anchors' to tie it down...where it is was under about 6-8 ft of water this spring during the flood:smack::smack: First time I've used that Marsh grass...but I like it!!!!:up:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Heck .........notice... GM looks to have a sidearm on her person...........OK HG has the grass skirt on!!!!

And them Boot's is gonna walk all over HIM!!:fit::fit:
That she did..and her trigger finger was itchy :biggrin: Was over there for 4 days.........and she never saw anything to shoot:mad: I did..but I can't divulge that info for fear of the 'Wrath' of others...:whistle::whistle:........if ya catch my drift:wink::wink:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Them look more like duck blinds than deer stands.:smack: Maybe the term deer blind should have been used, since they really do not have any height to them.

I have Duck hunted out of some of them before :biggrin: the reason they are so 'short', is that in some areas, where the timber has not been clear-cut, or as in this case the stand is sitting in an old slough.....that only holds water if the river is on the rampage......and if you get much over the 4ft level....you can't see for the brush, until a few good frosts, and then things open up where you can see better............it's just within the last 4-5 years that we've started building taller stands for almost all places.....that's because of the Dreaded Clear-Cut Monster :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks awesome makes me want to sip on a cool drink and hang out in the hammock. How does that height work for the thick brush I am going to build one next year :up:
Been building these for years, at that height...for the conditions there...like I mentioned earlier.......until a few good frosts, it's too thick to see good...after the frosts, normally you can see em farther than you can kill em :biggrin:

The Base is 4 ft square, and 4 ft tall......with this one sitting on the crossarms (used for skids), it's about 4ft 4 3/4 inches to the floor......the deminsions of a crossarm are 3 3/4 X 4 3/4 X 8 or 10 ft long......... you can use 4X4's for the legs, or in this case, it is 1 1/2 angle iron......we also have used 2x6's, doubled up for the legs........there are several different ways to do it, just let your imagination go!!!! :up:

One good thing about the 4X4 size.....which is great for 1 person.....is that it can be Pre-fabed at home, then taken to the woods to be assembled.......if building for 2 people...4X6 is the way to go :up:

Something else...when building/planning, think ahead, as we have taken these and added 4ft (more) to the legs to make 8ft to the floor, as conditions change ( I am able to cheat that way, collecting old crossarms, from work, and they are pre-drilled, all the same:biggrin:) and one of the older ones I have has had 12ft added to the legs and is still standing...although High winds this past spring managed to take the roof off of it:smack: and it has yet to be fixed.......thinking about leaving it off this year and hunt it on the fair weather days...and then build a new 4X6 next spring!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.