Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After saving my birthday, Christmas and yardmowing money for about five years, I finally got a Remington 870 SuperMag from Wally World! I agonized for months over a Remington 870, a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova! I finally settled and just now bought the gun. However, much to my chagrin, a Remington SUPER MAG comes with a modified choke and Wal-Mart doesn't sell a Remington choke anymore!:smack: I would ask why but I know why (just another way to spend some more money!!!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is the gun I have ,and may I suggest a kicks 665 choke tube and Winchester X-tended 3 1/2 " # 5's . Dead turkey at 55 yards no problem.
Congrats ! That gun will not let you down. I know from experience.:cool:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its hard to go wrong with the supermag. I have one with a 23" non vent rib barrel and cantilever scope mount. It is mossy oak camo and topped with a red dot. I have a .660 Rhino choke in it and with Federal Heavyweight 6's or Winchester extended range 6's its deadly farther than I care to shoot. I did make a yardage judgement error once and hammered a longbeard at 66 yards. I was shooting 4x5x7 Nitros out of this gun at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
After saving my birthday, Christmas and yardmowing money for about five years, I finally got a Remington 870 SuperMag from Wally World! I agonized for months over a Remington 870, a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova! I finally settled and just now bought the gun. However, much to my chagrin, a Remington SUPER MAG comes with a modified choke and Wal-Mart doesn't sell a Remington choke anymore!:smack: I would ask why but I know why (just another way to spend some more money!!!)
Our Wal-mart has remington chokes.I don't know why,...Would you believe they no longer sell guns.Must be some Anti's running the place.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Every turkey I've killed to this day was with an 870 12&20 guage. You have a fine turkey gun, but dont buy a remington choke to turkey hunt. Buy a specialty turkey choke.

I might have to pull my remington back out if my streak doesn't end this weekend trying to break in the new browning :smack:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Killed all my birds with a Remington 870......20 gauge! I won't use my 12 turkey huntin. Call me what you want but i can kill em just as dead with my 20 as i can with my 12! Plus its alot easier to carry and manuever. I use a remington turkey choke in my 20 and have killed em at 52 steps! But i don't know bout the 12 gauge remington chokes! Congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I shoot Super Mag with a 26" barrel. 3.5" Hevi Shot #5s through a factory full. It'll kill 'em out to 45 yds easy, and I dont miss at 10 yds.
I patterned my brother's Super Mag last year. I had a Remington super or extra full choke, I forget which one. I gave him that, and I had a box of Winchester Hi Velocity 3" #6. We tried that combo, and it patterened like a dream!

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a tru glo choke just because that's all they had. I don't plan on using it. Does anybody know if they're any good? My son has an 870 so I "borrowed" his full choke for today's hunt! I plan on getting another one. I know I'll need a full anyway.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Arkie, I still haven't figured out how to post pics. If I ever figure it out, I'll be glad to post one.:confused:
Give John Stiles time to catch this thread. He'll either tell you how or have you email them to him and he'll post them for you.
Do you have an account with webshots or photobucket or anything like that?

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Killed all my birds with a Remington 870......20 gauge! I won't use my 12 turkey huntin. Call me what you want but i can kill em just as dead with my 20 as i can with my 12! Plus its alot easier to carry and manuever. I use a remington turkey choke in my 20 and have killed em at 52 steps! But i don't know bout the 12 gauge remington chokes! Congrats on the new gun!
Are you shooting the Remington Turkey Choke or just a regular full choke? What ammo or you using?
I've shot my 870 20ga. a time or two with the factory full choke and Winchester Supreme #5's and it shot a pretty decent pattern at 30 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts