Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After saving my birthday, Christmas and yardmowing money for about five years, I finally got a Remington 870 SuperMag from Wally World! I agonized for months over a Remington 870, a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova! I finally settled and just now bought the gun. However, much to my chagrin, a Remington SUPER MAG comes with a modified choke and Wal-Mart doesn't sell a Remington choke anymore!:smack: I would ask why but I know why (just another way to spend some more money!!!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is the gun I have ,and may I suggest a kicks 665 choke tube and Winchester X-tended 3 1/2 " # 5's . Dead turkey at 55 yards no problem.
Congrats ! That gun will not let you down. I know from experience.:cool:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Its hard to go wrong with the supermag. I have one with a 23" non vent rib barrel and cantilever scope mount. It is mossy oak camo and topped with a red dot. I have a .660 Rhino choke in it and with Federal Heavyweight 6's or Winchester extended range 6's its deadly farther than I care to shoot. I did make a yardage judgement error once and hammered a longbeard at 66 yards. I was shooting 4x5x7 Nitros out of this gun at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
After saving my birthday, Christmas and yardmowing money for about five years, I finally got a Remington 870 SuperMag from Wally World! I agonized for months over a Remington 870, a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova! I finally settled and just now bought the gun. However, much to my chagrin, a Remington SUPER MAG comes with a modified choke and Wal-Mart doesn't sell a Remington choke anymore!:smack: I would ask why but I know why (just another way to spend some more money!!!)
Our Wal-mart has remington chokes.I don't know why,...Would you believe they no longer sell guns.Must be some Anti's running the place.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Every turkey I've killed to this day was with an 870 12&20 guage. You have a fine turkey gun, but dont buy a remington choke to turkey hunt. Buy a specialty turkey choke.

I might have to pull my remington back out if my streak doesn't end this weekend trying to break in the new browning :smack:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Killed all my birds with a Remington 870......20 gauge! I won't use my 12 turkey huntin. Call me what you want but i can kill em just as dead with my 20 as i can with my 12! Plus its alot easier to carry and manuever. I use a remington turkey choke in my 20 and have killed em at 52 steps! But i don't know bout the 12 gauge remington chokes! Congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
I shoot Super Mag with a 26" barrel. 3.5" Hevi Shot #5s through a factory full. It'll kill 'em out to 45 yds easy, and I dont miss at 10 yds.
I patterned my brother's Super Mag last year. I had a Remington super or extra full choke, I forget which one. I gave him that, and I had a box of Winchester Hi Velocity 3" #6. We tried that combo, and it patterened like a dream!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a tru glo choke just because that's all they had. I don't plan on using it. Does anybody know if they're any good? My son has an 870 so I "borrowed" his full choke for today's hunt! I plan on getting another one. I know I'll need a full anyway.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Killed all my birds with a Remington 870......20 gauge! I won't use my 12 turkey huntin. Call me what you want but i can kill em just as dead with my 20 as i can with my 12! Plus its alot easier to carry and manuever. I use a remington turkey choke in my 20 and have killed em at 52 steps! But i don't know bout the 12 gauge remington chokes! Congrats on the new gun!
Are you shooting the Remington Turkey Choke or just a regular full choke? What ammo or you using?
I've shot my 870 20ga. a time or two with the factory full choke and Winchester Supreme #5's and it shot a pretty decent pattern at 30 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.