Finally got another lease!!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cables, Dec 13, 2010.

1. cables

cables Well-Known Member

Well boys it looks like I finally got a lease that according to the owner we can lease as long as we want. The land has about 280-300 hunting acres but there is about half (approx. 100-140) open land. there are 3 hay fields and then 2 native grass fields. He said we could plant food plots on the edges of the feilds and in the opennings in the woods. But i have never done food plots and stuff, so for a "newby", what would ya'll suggest for us to try. there is a creek that runs through part of the land that I was thinking about planting a fews rows of corn and using thr creek to water it? But what else can I try, clover, turnips, what?

A lot of work to do to make it nice, can't wait until spring.

2. bayman1975

bayman1975 Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

Good for you! Have fun with it.

3. varmint hunter

varmint hunter Well-Known Member

Congrats:up: I would plant oats, wheat !

4. cables

cables Well-Known Member

Seperate plots or the same?

5. varmint hunter

varmint hunter Well-Known Member

Seperate

6. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Being you said you have a long term deal here, the first thing I would do is pull some soil samples right now from the area's you want to put the plots. The Extension Service will send them off & give you a print out as to what they might need. You can do alot of work doing foodplots & if they do not have what they need you can waste alot of time & money doing so. Another thing I have found is plots that have the right PH & have had the correct fertilizer put on them draw the most deer cause they perfer them over your average so-so plots. As far as what to plant, if you plan on planting spring plots, the clovers & legumes (soybeans, purple hull peas, cow peas & the like) seem to get you the most benifit. Not only will the deer love it, that Old Tom make show up also! The only problems you need to watch for in a spring/summer plot is insects. Worms & the like can give you problems, but nothing a spray rig on a wheeler loaded with Malithon will not solve. Another thing that we do that proves to be a real good deal & is a cheap natural foodplot is to bushhog down some of the natural vegitation, then we fertilizer that also. Them deer are wild & they perfer what they are used to. I have seen them stay on these area's until it frost before they even look at the man made plots. As it closer into the fall, go in & add oats, wheat, rye & winter peas. You may also want to add another shot of what ever fertilizer (13-13-13 works good) at this time to give what you plant and the clover that is still there an extra boost!

If you want to do the corn deal that OK, but unless you have quite a bit of it I don't know if I would expend the effort nor the expense, the coons will take care of it ASAP. If I was to do anything along these lines, I believe I would plant sunflowers. The deer like them when they get to a certain stage, they draw insects that will pollenate your beans & pea's & other varmits don't mess with them, but the real benifit of the sunflowers would be you might just have a good early September dove hunt over them & it does not take many to do such!

7. jbmobley

jbmobley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't jack with the corn. 50lb bags go a lot farther.

I have messed with plots on our place for several years. A mix of oats, wheat, crimson clover, and a white clover are hard to beat. Plant it all in the fall. The clover will not really produce until spring, the oats and wheat in the fall. I have found that the clovers will grow and last until late in the summer - about the time you would disc to reseed oats and wheat for the following fall. The end result you wind up with a single blend that can last all year. I have tried "spring/summer plots" and yet to feel like i have justified the money and effort. The best thing about the clovers is they will come back every year for quite some time without reseeding. You would only replant the oats and wheat the following falls. Pretty low maintenance. I have seed rates etc that we do on our place if you want any of that......

Good luck.

8. We've planted turnips and oats and things like that before and did ok wih it, but this year we planted one of the pre-mixed bags of different seeds for a fall hunting plot and the deer absolutely LOVE it. i'll have to find out the brand, but as far as picking a seed out that may be easier.

9. wrecker19

wrecker19 Well-Known Member

http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/

Please be kinder to your wildlife, unless you prefer 5 legged deer. That stuff is nothing more than population control in a bottle

10. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Interesting, guess need to hold up spraying my little food plots, maybe the airplanes spaying 1000 & 1000's of gallons around here can get enough drift to take of my issues if I have some also!

11. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Good to hear Cables.

Hope you the best of luck.

12. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    Soil test first, You can take it to the Herb Ginn and the county extensive office in WR, they will send it off and test it for free. If the grass is tall, bushog it down, wait a couple of weeks and spray it with roundup. Aftern it starts to die Work the soil and drag it to get a good seed bed. What I plant in the spring is clover and alalfa, with some feed oats mixed in, the reason I plant the feed oats is that it gives the clover and alalfa some shade in the hot dry summers. For fall plots I really like winter rye or buck forage oats, they both make terrific fall plots. Winter rye is much cheaper than the forage oat, I dont reccomend feed oats in the fall because when it comes a hard freeze they turn yellow and deer wont eat them. Planting plots are a lot of fun. Good luck with your plot

13. TMHC

TMHC Well-Known Member