Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an awesome season. I will break it down to you day by day.

Opening day of youth season we took my buddies little brother to a new place an never heard a peep.

Second day of youth season we took him to a place that I had scouted and we had 5 birds gobbling by 6:40. We wound up calling in two jake and one never left. :biggrin:

The first two days of the regular season were a bust with high winds. Monday started out pretty rough too. I woke up plenty early only to have my truck not start. I went a borrowed my brother's truck and got to the woods a little after daylight. Never heard a gobble at the first place so I decided to try another. Heard a bird gobble a couple of time so I made my way to him only to find someone else set up on him that was not supposed to be there. Needless to say after that confrontation that bird never made another sound. So I went back to the house and fixed my truck. By that time it was close to 3:00 and I decided to give it another shot since I used a day of vacation. I threw up my blind close to where the bird was gobbliing that morning. About 5:30 a couple of geese flew over honkin and not a 100 yards two birds gobbled. I cut them off with some cutts and yelpls. They answered right back. As long as I was aggressive with my calling they stayed fired up an coming. I finally persuaded them in to range and to my supprise they were both jakes. (They sounded really good). I decided to take one since I had the camera rolling. But after three shots and three gobbles later both birds were still standing a I was out of shells. The birds finally moved back to where they came from and I made a mad sprint back to the truck about a quarter mile away, got a couple more shells and sprinted back to where I left them. i made a couple cutts and here they came just a hammerin'. They really put on a show for me this time but this time I didn't miss. This was my first AR bird in a couple of years so I was quite excited.

16#
1/4" spurs
5 1/4" beard

The next oppertunity that I had to hunt was Saturday morning. I went back to where I killed the jake and got some birds to answer on the roost. I could tell at least one of them was a jake but I thought at least on of the others was mature bird. But when they showed up 10 min. later none of them were longbeards. I went to another piece of property about 5:30 and set up close to where some birds where roosting. We (S2KHawk and I) got the decoys set out where I thought the birds were going to come from, then found us a place to get comfortable. I was my calls out while Hawk was getting the camera set up. I sanded my Primos Freak with Crystal and cutt a couple of times to see how it sounded. A bird gobble behind us. We both got up and moved around the trees we were sitting at and the bird was gobbleing the whole time. Within 5 min. the gobbler had came 200 yards and meet a load of #6 Hevi-Shot. My first AR longbeard.

19.5#
1" spurs
10" beard

I forgot to mention that all of the birds I called up, with the exception jakes called up on the youth hunt, flew a creek to get to me. I never had time to move to their side or I would have.

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Narrative. You forgot to mention the fact that your best buddy sat in a blind with you for about 14 hours total and never heard one bird. :biggrin:
I thought that somebody might draw the conclusion to you being the bad luck........I didn't know if you could handle the embarrassment but since you brought it up.......I have called in birds every time that you were not with me if you haven't noticed.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
So you got it on viedo huh. That's pretty cool. I had the camera when I took my nephew saturday and got the bird gobbling about 80 times....but then there was that not so distant BOOM from the guy that came in one us. :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
So you got it on viedo huh. That's pretty cool. I had the camera when I took my nephew saturday and got the bird gobbling about 80 times....but then there was that not so distant BOOM from the guy that came in one us. :mad:
It's more like an audio tape since we were facing directly into the sun and I was having to hold my hand over the camera so it wasn't completly white. Maybe one day we'll have a better camera to haul to the woods with us. :up:

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
It's more like an audio tape since we were facing directly into the sun and I was having to hold my hand over the camera so it wasn't completly white. Maybe one day we'll have a better camera to haul to the woods with us. :up:
Amen on that one! I'm using the good ole sony handicam right now. Man how I would like one of those professional rigs! :smack:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought that somebody might draw the conclusion to you being the bad luck........I didn't know if you could handle the embarrassment but since you brought it up.......I have called in birds every time that you were not with me if you haven't noticed.

I think we both know who called em in on the youth hunt. You've been my bad luck. I haven't even heard a bird when I was with you!...........SO, we goin' Saturday mornin'? :biggrin:

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Congrats on the birds!!! That 1st bird may not be a big old longbeard, but that fan sure doesn't look like he is a jake either. I killed one last year that had a 6 & 3/4 inch beard (looked like a jake beard real skinny) but had a full fan too. Must be an in-between phase bird?:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.