Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long advocated guns for personal defense, now I look to hunt. Can any of you show me documents or video on how to dress a deer? I want to use hunting as a secondary introduction to guns for my son. He is 2.5 years old and can already tell a revolver from a semi auto, a shot gun from a rifle and a toy gun from a real gun. My father didn’t hunt so I don’t have those lessons. I played games and wasn’t an outdoors person. I find the knowledge crucial now. So if you can teach me this art I would very much appreciate it. I have searched YouTube but have found nothing as of yet. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
When you get into it don't forget about the diaphragm. My first couple times that confused the heck out of me.:head:

Where in Arkansas are you. It might not be a bad idea to find someone around you to hunt with and show you the ropes. I didn't start hunting until I was 30 and I got lots of help from guys of all ages. I'm a teacher and some of my students actually walked me through the process once.

Don't be afraid to ask.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,703 Posts
Talk around some of the hunting stores, greasy spoons, on and on and it shouldn't be hard to find someone who'd be glad to show you first hand if you let them know you want to get into hunting. Surely you can find a friend or aquaintance that'd be happy to. Even if you've got private land to hunt a good deer camp would be very helpful. Just make sure it's a good one that good practices can be learned from. Know a couple camps if you need a place.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Alright if I haven't killed a deer by Oct the 25th, somebody is going to have to take me hunting. I turn 30 on the the 26th, so I want to kill one before then. I'm a crack shot with my bow, so that ain't the problem. Just never had anybody to take me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found several videos on YouTube depicting deer dressing. I must say, it's not for the week stomached. I can handle shooting one and skinning one, but that gutting part is going to take some real...work. When me and the wife watch surgeries on TV some times i look sometimes i don't. I think a lot of my uncertainty comes from a simple lack of experience. I can make myself get the job done. If I shoot it I won’t wimp out and leave it for someone else to do.

It always seemed difficult to partner up with a deer hunter. Schedule conflicts are the biggest hindrance. It’s been years since I owned a long gun and I can't shoot a gun for the first time at a deer. A hunting gun is my next prospect.

I’m in Jonesboro and look to hunt first around the Melbourne area.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Chickenwang, heres what you do.. After you kill your deer, take it to the check station in Melbourne.. As the locals are coming out to look it over, take out a $20 bill and boldly say "I bet theres not a man here good enough to gut, skin and quarter this deer in 30 minutes time".. Then just stand back and take notes..:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts
I found several videos on YouTube depicting deer dressing. I must say, it's not for the week stomached. I can handle shooting one and skinning one, but that gutting part is going to take some real...work. When me and the wife watch surgeries on TV some times i look sometimes i don't. I think a lot of my uncertainty comes from a simple lack of experience. I can make myself get the job done. If I shoot it I won’t wimp out and leave it for someone else to do.

It always seemed difficult to partner up with a deer hunter. Schedule conflicts are the biggest hindrance. It’s been years since I owned a long gun and I can't shoot a gun for the first time at a deer. A hunting gun is my next prospect.

I’m in Jonesboro and look to hunt first around the Melbourne area.

Thanks
Guess with all that in mind we really shouldn't tell him about the smells involved in gutting one! :wink:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Grew up hunting less than 30 minutes from a processor that was open basically 24 hrs a day because they had a little man that lived at the shop (bless his heart he was a little slow), but for an extra $10.00 he would gut and skin any deer you brought in. I'm over 40 years old and until last year, I bet I never saw 4 or 5 deer gutted and skinned, except by that little ole man. However, last year I joined a camp that is so far from civilization we have to pump in sunshine, so I had to learn the skinning and gutting techiques. Skinning is no problem, but gutting is best done on an empty stomach. It should never be done after a night of drinking wild turkey all night long followed by a big breakfast of pork chops, eggs and biscuits. Trust me on that one. When it comes to gutting, my buddies have given me the nickname of "old faithful." Okay here's two more vital tidbits you need to know: never, and I mean never, poke a hole in a stomach or bladder and wear rubber gloves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Aww c'mon guys, it ain't that bad. Just think of fresh breakfast links or spaghetti or something like that while guttin that deer. I had no clue about what to do the first time I killed a deer. I was 18 and my cousin helped me skin it. I think there was more hair on that deer after we got the hide off than there was before we started.

Pobably the most important thing is to not punch a hole in the stomach and be sure your knife is razor sharp!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Chickenwang, heres what you do.. After you kill your deer, take it to the check station in Melbourne.. As the locals are coming out to look it over, take out a $20 bill and boldly say "I bet theres not a man here good enough to gut, skin and quarter this deer in 30 minutes time".. Then just stand back and take notes..:biggrin:
There's a couple of old boys in my hunting lease that will ask you what do you want them to do with the other 25 minutes. Although, there may be more meat left on the hide than what gets into the cooler. :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.