Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not intended to bash the idea of killing hogs on a WMA---that's been hashed out enough. I do have a question for you though.

Here's the regulation on killing feral hogs on a WMA:

Feral hogs may be killed on the following areas only during open firearms bear, deer or elk seasons from 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset with methods legal for that season or zone:
So......assume you have a permit for a gun hunt on a WMA. You can kill a hog or hogs--no question there. BUT---if you limit out on your deer, can you still hunt hogs?

I have my answer, just wondered what y'all thought about this situation.

·
Super Moderator
14,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question at the regional office was answered with a question: "What does the permit say you're allowed to hunt?" Of course the answer is deer hunting. But what about the rules that say you can hunt hogs during a permit hunt? The permit is only good as long as you have deer tags. I can see where things could be worded a little differently. Don't worry--I got my answer and I can live with it. I'd really like to kill a hog, but it's no big deal. I also realize that some would use that opportunity to kill another deer. We're not all outlaws though.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My question at the regional office was answered with a question: "What does the permit say you're allowed to hunt?" Of course the answer is deer hunting. But what about the rules that say you can hunt hogs during a permit hunt? The permit is only good as long as you have deer tags. I can see where things could be worded a little differently. Don't worry--I got my answer and I can live with it. I'd really like to kill a hog, but it's no big deal. I also realize that some would use that opportunity to kill another deer. We're not all outlaws though.

But a booner will sometimes make an outlaw out of a lot of otherwise honest hunters.

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
I was told by one of the employees on Pond Cr NWR that they had quota MG permit holder who applied for the sole reason of drawing a MG permit so they could hog hunt those two days.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
I was told by one of the employees on Pond Cr NWR that they had quota MG permit holder who applied for the sole reason of drawing a MG permit so they could hog hunt those two days.
Not a bad idea. I might consider that on HE Alexander next year. If I want to kill a deer I can do that on my property.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of course you can't. That would screw up the extremely successful efforts of the commission to eradicate these nuisance animals. The real question is why do we quietly sit by while the agfc begans managing these animals like deer or turkeys? Hope they don't take the same approach with coyotes.

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
Of course you can't. That would screw up the extremely successful efforts of the commission to eradicate these nuisance animals. The real question is why do we quietly sit by while the agfc begans managing these animals like deer or turkeys? Hope they don't take the same approach with coyotes.
If they managed hogs like deer and turkeys in my neck of the woods - there soon wouldn't be a hog left.:up:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Point taken. I hunt the Ozark N.F. and the hog population has absolutely exploded. To think one biologist can eradicate all of them with two traps and an I phone on a half million acre wma is laughable. I hate em and will kill them whenever or however I can. I think our commander in chief might be stealing ideas from the ol agfc playbook.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.