Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
By reading that, I am made to wonder how much work the AGFC could have done on the ground to prevent this hog explosion, had they not spent so much money building the Forest L. Wood Crowley's Ridge Nature Center.
And all the other shrines to past Commissioners.

Hmmmm

·
Administrator
84,081 Posts
By reading that, I am made to wonder how much work the AGFC could have done on the ground to prevent this hog explosion, had they not spent so much money building the Forest L. Wood Crowley's Ridge Nature Center.

Hmmmm
Heck Bruin, it was just $5M. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Hmmmm
I think thats where all our 1/8 taxs are going

·
Administrator
84,081 Posts
No, only 1/2 of it.
Close.

From the AGFC's web page:

In November 1996, Arkansas voters passed a conservation sales tax, which went into effect July 1, 1997. It designates 1/8th of 1 percent of the state's general sales tax for Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (45 percent), Arkansas State Parks (45 percent, Arkansas Heritage Commission (9 percent) and Keep Arkansas Beautiful Commission (1 percent).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know a lot of people on this site love to hunt hogs but the "hog problem" has exploded into something that needs drastic attention. In Kansas for example it is illegal to hunt hogs and when hogs are located that are extinguished with helicopters and people shooting them thru Kansas Fish and Wildlife. I know we do not have the terrain to do this here but we need some strong answers to control the population or it maybe taken out of our hands and AGFC may exterminate the problem for us.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Not only that, the best location for this meeting is Jonesboro??? Jonesboro??? The real epicenter of Arkansas' wild hog problem for sure.:rolleyes:
Hobbs they are trying to be proactive here and control the problem before the farmers up this way have to deal with them.:fit:

Up this way once the step outside the boundaries of the large wooden tracts of WMA's and hit the fields they are completely out in the open and can be seen for quite a long ways off. It ain't going to help them any because the root of the problem up this way is the core area which is public land (WMA) is where they are staying and breeding.:smack:

·
Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
Yeah, I would be interested in goin!!!!!! My first few questions will be somethin like this.... Dear AGFC if you hate hogs SO much, why, on WMA's cant we 1)Bait them? 2)Trap them? 3)Use high-powered rifles year round? or even 4)Use dogs??? If any AGFC people on hear reads this, feel free to answer these questions!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yeah, I would be interested in goin!!!!!! My first few questions will be somethin like this.... Dear AGFC if you hate hogs SO much, why, on WMA's cant we 1)Bait them? 2)Trap them? 3)Use high-powered rifles year round? or even 4)Use dogs??? If any AGFC people on hear reads this, feel free to answer these questions!!!:biggrin:
I don't work for Game and Fish but I suspect the answers would be something like this:
Bait them-Lots of deer would be killed over "hog bait"
Trap them- This would require unlimited ATV access on WMA's since nobody is going to carry traps in by hand, also, trapping would provide live hogs to whoever caught them and we all know what can happen with live, captive hogs (release)
Use high-powered rifles year round-Might or might not increase deer poaching.
Use dogs-Same argument against dogs as traps (ATV access and providing live, captive hogs).

·
Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
I don't work for Game and Fish but I suspect the answers would be something like this:
Bait them-Lots of deer would be killed over "hog bait"
Trap them- This would require unlimited ATV access on WMA's since nobody is going to carry traps in by hand, also, trapping would provide live hogs to whoever caught them and we all know what can happen with live, captive hogs (release)
Use high-powered rifles year round-Might or might not increase deer poaching.
Use dogs-Same argument against dogs as traps (ATV access and providing live, captive hogs).
Yep, you are absolutely right, they would come up with some BS excuses!!!! Screw the meeting, Im just gonna go hog huntin!!:up:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Well we can use high powered rifles for 8 months to hunt them (well I mean to hunt coyotes that is, because under the current regulations you can not just hog hunt, you can only take hogs during another open season and with weapons legal during that season). This is what hurts us in the Delta areas because when the areas flood up game wardens will give you a ticket for hunting wildlife (coyotes) fleeing floods.:smack:

The only thing I don't understand is why don't they open up the month of March to pursue them with dogs. During this month there is no open season on WMA's so the running of dogs would not impact some one else's hunt.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No dogs because they are scared hog doggers will start dropping live ones in wma's so they can catch them later. This is what I was told about hogs on wma's in SEARK. All y'all can do is kill everyone y'all see. And open farm country is very easy for a hog to thrive in. They love rice bean and corn fields. In the early spring they will lay up in wheat till the other crops get bigger. Every crp or ditch, canal, and creek bank is enough for them to hide during the other parts of the year. Good luck to y'all up their cause I wouldn't wish hogs on my worst enemy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts