Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up bushy tail hunters does anyone know where i can get a mountain feist.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey whats up bushy tail hunters does anyone know where i can get a mountain feist.
My dad has some omcba mtn. cur puppies for sale if you were interested in a mtn cur.

We used to raise fiest but like most people we switched over to mtn curs.

if you're set to one of those good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got mine from Squirrel Hunter who is a member on here. She is a good looking dog. I think she is going to turn out good. She was born in October. He was good to deal with also.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
My dad has some omcba mtn. cur puppies for sale if you were interested in a mtn cur.

We used to raise fiest but like most people we switched over to mtn curs.

if you're set to one of those good luck!
I've hunted with both curs and fiests and both have done good jobs of treeing squirrels. In some of the litters I've observed locally, it seems like a higher percentage of curs make squirrel dogs than do fiests. That being said, most of the curs I've been around liked to hunt most anything and took a good bit of training to get them to focus on squirrels and leave the deer, rabbits, etc... alone. The Fiests I've been around haven't seemed to have as much of a problem chasing game other than squirrels.
I prefer to hunt with a fiest mainly because the areas we have to hunt are getting smaller and smaller thanks to logging. A long legged cur can blow through some of these small areas in no time and you are stuck trying to skip around to scattered pockets of woods or make loops over the same block of land several times in one hunt. Another reason is that the older, fatter and more out of shape I get, the easier it is to keep up with a little dog than a big one. :thumb:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got mine from Squirrel Hunter who is a member on here. She is a good looking dog. I think she is going to turn out good. She was born in October. He was good to deal with also.
I've got one of those pups from Squirrel Hunter too. She treed her first squirrel by herself at 4 1/2 months.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on who you talk to. Most of the folks I know have gone from Curs to Fiest because they were not getting what they wanted out of the Curs. I myself started with the Curs and after going through about 7 of them decided to try something different. I went to Mullins Stock Feist and have never beens sorry. We have had some awsome success with our little dogs and I can't say enough good things about the breed. BUT, they are like any other animal which is bred for a purpose, you have folks who just breed anything to anything for a litter of pups without regard to hunting ability and then you have folks who breed best to the best and get good pups. This is true with both Mtn Curs and Feist! You can get bad ones and you can get good ones in either breed. I have a Mtn Cur gyp I wouldn't trade for the world but out of 7 that is not good odds!:smack:
If you have your heart set on a Feist then don't settle for anything else or you will probibly be Feist hunting again in a couple of years. Now if you don't care which breed then pick a good cross and go with it. Life is to short to hunt dogs you don't like so what ever suits you best then feed it and kill ya some game!
There are some good Feists around here in Arkansas !:thumb:

Rachel

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Rachel,
Does anyone down in South Arkansas have one of your pups? I've hunted with some of Jody and Chance's dogs during our buddy hunts down here and they did pretty good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i am happy to hear that those pups are doing so good!

i like the feist more than curs just because i have had better luck with them. curs are good dogs but there aint nothing like a fiest.

luke:up:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rachel,
Does anyone down in South Arkansas have one of your pups? I've hunted with some of Jody and Chance's dogs during our buddy hunts down here and they did pretty good.

Yes, Chris Sims of Pine Bluff(?) has one called Rex which looks just like his sire. He is a perty good little hunting dog from what I hear but I don't think Chris comp hunts him.

There are some awsome Feists out there and I sure don't claim to have the best of them. I am thinking about the possability of breeding one of my pups to one of Jody Mullins dogs some time though.:biggrin:

Rachel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts