Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading down to my camp here in a few weeks so to some scouting where I missed a 14 point last year. I know I'm not going to be able to do a food plot since its basically all woods. I've tried corn but havent had much success. Do any of you have any tips on what i should do? I might just try a salt block and some kind of mineral attractent.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You could try a high protein feed. I use something called pilgrims 22 % deer pellets. The deer like it and they keep coming back because the feed meets their nutritional needs. The deer know when what they are eating is really good for them. Thats why they eat a lot of acorns.

PILGRIM'S 22% TROPHY BUCK DEVELOPER PELLET WITH MOISTURE BLOK
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, minimum... 22.00%
Crude Fat, minimum... 2.50%
Crude Fiber, maximum... 12.00%
Calcium, minimum... 1.50% maximum... 2.00%
Phosphorus, minimum... 0.75%
Salt, minimum... 1.50% maximum... 2.00%
Vitamin A, minimum... 8000 IU/lb
Vitamin D, minimum... 1600 IU/lb
Vitamin E, minimum... 20 IU/lb

KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Pilgrim's 22% Trophy Buck Developer Pellet is a balanced, high-quality feed formulated to help deer perform to their full genetic potential.
Formulated with moisture blok to help the pellets repel moisture, allowing the feed to freely flow in feeders reducing feed wastage.
High protein - research shows that high protein levels lead to larger antlers and greater growth. Higher protein feeds should stimulate forage intake, digestion and utilization. In bucks, hardened antlers are about 45% protein. Body growth takes priority over antler growth. Thus, if protein levels are short, antler growth will be reduced before body growth.
High calcium and phosphorus levels - Hardened deer antlers contain about 22% calcium and 11% phosphorus. Since body growth takes precedence, shortages of calcium and phosphorus would impact antler growth before body growth.
High vitamin levels - help with reproduction and stimulating immune system.
Contains zinc methionine complex (Zinpro) - zinc from zinc methionine is more bioavailable than inorganic zinc. Zinc promotes wound healing. Research shows that Zinpro helps prevent foot rot and promotes thicker hoof walls. Similarly, Zinpro should also help promote antler growth.
Energy and protein are provided by a variety of feedstuffs. Not all of energy is provided by grain thus feed has moderate starch level. High levels of grain can reduce rumen pH, which reduces the number of fiber-digesting bacteria. Thus, forage intake and utilization is reduced. Feeding high grain feeds can also possibly lead to acidosis.
Fiber is provided by alfalfa and soybean hulls - good quality fiber.
Soybean hulls are high in fiber and energy. Energy is provided by "digestible fiber" as opposed to starch.

And it is not much more than corn. I was feeding corn at 6.25 - 6.50 / 50 lb.

I was feeding this protein pellet for about 8.00 / 50 lb.

Hope this helps.

MET

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.