Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know where I can get some Federal large pistol primers in the NE Arkansas area?

I have a S&W 625 that really likes the softer Federal primers. I could order them from Midway or some other company but I hate to have to pay the Hazmat (?sp) fee.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tried replacing the main spring? That is usually the cause of light primer strikes. Number two on the list is a worn/bad firing pin.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I found some recently at the Triangle Sporting Shop in Batesville. It is located South of Batesville at the top of the mountain in the triangle of Hwy 25 & 167. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Have you tried replacing the main spring? That is usually the cause of light primer strikes. Number two on the list is a worn/bad firing pin.
Good point, but many competition shooters build their guns around the ammo. If you can find a softer primer (federals are known for that) then you can get away with a lighter mainspring, thus a lighter DA trigger pull. It's a common trick to make the gun easier to shoot really fast! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,528 Posts
I know this gun and have shot it plenty. He sure doesn't want to be messing with any springs as this is possibly the sweetest shooting revolver I've had my hands on. One day I'll own it again!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good point, but many competition shooters build their guns around the ammo. If you can find a softer primer (federals are known for that) then you can get away with a lighter mainspring, thus a lighter DA trigger pull. It's a common trick to make the gun easier to shoot really fast! :thumb:
I'd never heard that before. Thanks for the information, keep it coming!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I'd never heard that before. Thanks for the information, keep it coming!
--My crediblity may be shot because I can't remember his in-laws names, but I acutally got that from Jerry Miculek hisself. His 625 has an incredibly light mainspring (I tried it) and he uses Federal primers.

Federal primers are so light that Dillon doesn't reccomend them for use in their reloading equipment, or at least that was their policy a few years ago when I last looked. Everybody uses them anyway, though. I use a Lee auto primer, and seat them by hand, and have never had a problem. Just don't force a primer that doesn't wanna go!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are 100% correct Flintknapper! That is why I am searching for the Federal primers.

JR1 is correct too. My 625 is probably the sweetest wheelgun I have ever gotten a hold of. A real joy to shoot and much more accurate than I am!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You are 100% correct Flintknapper! That is why I am searching for the Federal primers.

JR1 is correct too. My 625 is probably the sweetest wheelgun I have ever gotten a hold of. A real joy to shoot and much more accurate than I am!
You aughta see Miculek shoot his. It sounds like short bursts from a Thompson.... Also, I'd kill to know the details of his 625's preparation. I mean to tell ya'll, it feels like it's all running on ball bearings!

About "soft" primers, though, I think only folks who really "need" and benefit from them are double-action revolver shooters. Everything else I have hits hard enough (without screwing up the trigger pull) to ignite about any primer out there, and I like it like that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct again, flintknapper. It too is my opinion that "soft primers" should only be used for the double-action revolvers.

Federal primers can be a dangerous if not used properly. That is why "Lee" also is very emphatic about not using them at all with their presses and loading equipment. I too, use a Lee auto primer, seat them by hand, and have never had a problem.

I would love to get my hands on Miculek's 625! His commercial on tv is unbelieveable. You have to see it in slow motion to realize just how fast he really shoot, reloads, and shoots again!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Yup, I got to see it in person, and I still don't completely believe it. The reload is the mind-blower, blink and you'll miss the whole thing!! I got my hands on it, but I'd love to talk to the tech that worked on it...Maybe there really ARE bearings in there. Oh well, learn to shoot like him and maybe Smith and Wesson will sponsor your habit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts