Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
switching to a 20 this year. with federal heavy wt. 6s i get about 100 avg in the 10 circle at 40 yards with a carlson choke. have ordered trulocks choke for 7s. they say i will get around 150 in the 10 inch circle. has any one tried the 7s?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I found federal 7's on sale a couple years ago and picked up a couple boxes to try. They shot plenty decent out of my gun and I killed a bird or two with em. One of them was around 40 yards. They didn't come close to my hevi shot 6's so I didn't buy anymore. Given I didn't try different chokes with em.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
out of my 870 i cant get any heavy shot to pattern well. 5's are o.k. have tried 3 or 4 different chokes. everything i have read on the fed. 7s say the hit like lead 5s at 40 plus yards.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Shoot the 7s and increase ur pellet count. They hit plenty hard; no need in 6s when ur shooting something that dense: lead is 11, hevi13 is 12, heavyweight is 15 on density scale. I get high 160s with a cheap undertaker in a winchester youth ranger 120. Awesome shell.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm gettin 140s with Federal HW 7s, Truglo SSX choke, and Rem 870 20. With 6s I get 110ish. I've got this same combo in a gun from the early 90s and a brand new one. The new one does 115ish with 6s. I haven't tried 7s in it yet.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I use the federal flight control heavy weight #6 which was discontinued for about a year in making. They have been back on market for some times but they are very hard to find. Hunters refuge even said they had to special order them. I'll be at Mack's PW tomorrow and plan to look there. We will be holding the World calling contest there tomorrow, big names coming from across the country.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tried my trulock choke today. the first 4 or 5 shots with the fed. 7s were not good. about a 75 avg at 40 yds. then the choke put 165 and 148 in the 10 inch circle at 40. had heard before it takes a few shots to shoot the choke in. has anyone else experienced this.

·
Registered
743 Posts
tried my trulock choke today. the first 4 or 5 shots with the fed. 7s were not good. about a 75 avg at 40 yds. then the choke put 165 and 148 in the 10 inch circle at 40. had heard before it takes a few shots to shoot the choke in. has anyone else experienced this.
There is a thread on oldgobbler on choke life. A few of the knowledgeable guys there think a choke improves with shooting. Sounds like ur dialed in with those last 2 shots. Trulock makes good stuff and stands behind their products.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'd suggest cleaning your barrel really good with Hoppes #9, a brush, and Improved or Modified choke. Scrub it hard for 5 minutes or so keepin the brush wet, then let it set for 15 minutes, then run the brush a few more passes, and then push some cotton patches thru till they come out clean. It helped mine tremendously.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I use the federal flight control heavy weight #6 which was discontinued for about a year in making. They have been back on market for some times but they are very hard to find. Hunters refuge even said they had to special order them. I'll be at Mack's PW tomorrow and plan to look there. We will be holding the World calling contest there tomorrow, big names coming from across the country.
Again, none to be found.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Shoot the 7s and increase ur pellet count. They hit plenty hard; no need in 6s when ur shooting something that dense: lead is 11, hevi13 is 12, heavyweight is 15 on density scale. I get high 160s with a cheap undertaker in a winchester youth ranger 120. Awesome shell.
X2 My son has killed 9 with the Fed HW 7's. Difference between the HW 7 and a lead 7 is like the difference in a ping pong ball and a golf ball.... Shoot the 7's, you won't be disappointed

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_20gauge_heavyweight_turkey_load.htm

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
X2 My son has killed 9 with the Fed HW 7's. Difference between the HW 7 and a lead 7 is like the difference in a ping pong ball and a golf ball.... Shoot the 7's, you won't be disappointed

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_20gauge_heavyweight_turkey_load.htm
You know it's amazing how much difference every gun shoots different shells. I switched to 7's last year and let 2 gobblers get away opening day. Left 4 new shells laying on the ground by a tree that afternoon. Went back to the same shell in 6's and things started happening on day 3. I shoot a 870 SP. Have for 17 years. Nothing,...nothing I have tried can hold a pattern like those 6's in that gun.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you right Thompson, my dad and I both have 935's. His will out shoot mine with Win XR 5's all day long. We both shot the Hevi Mag Blends last year. I don't see me shooting anything else as long as they continue to make the blends.

·
Member<br>You Can't Change This Side
533 Posts
I couldn't get the Fed HW7's to pattern in my 20ga BPS with Invector+ choke or Trulok choke. I went with another brand, not sure which one, but I got 6 boxes last year of the good ones.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Bringing this thread back to the top. I just bought a TruGlo SSX for my 870 Youth Model 20ga. I plan on trying out the Federal Heavyweight 7s soon to pattern them. Anybody do any good with this combo?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts