Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be closed for firearms most of the state. But archery hunters will be able to hunt a full 5 months!:mad::mad::mad: That is'nt fair to those who perfer not to use archery tackle.:down: I like to take a young turkey each fall season , but seldom hunt in the spring. It should be open for all or closed. The short week fall season did'nt have many birds taken anyway.:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,451 Posts
I don't participate in the fall firearms hunt and don't really target turkeys specifically during archery season either. But it doesn't make much sense to close either of them. I doubt that the fall firearms season or the fall/winter archery season has even a measurable effect on the overall turkey population. However, if a person has a mind to one could do some pretty serious damage to isolated turkey flocks with a firearm, but much less likely to do the same with archery equipment.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
If they are going to close one they ought to close the other just to simplify the process. Sure if you close a season, it will have an impact, but I agree with born2hunt, it's hard to tell how much of one. I'm not sure how many folks here are serious about fall turkey hunting, but when we were younger, it was a blast busting up fall flocks and calling or whistling them back. The action is just as intense as spring hunting, but with little or no gobbling.

I choose not to fall hunt anymore, just to "save" turkeys for the spring, but again, it may not matter that much.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
It will be closed for firearms most of the state. But archery hunters will be able to hunt a full 5 months!:mad::mad::mad: That is'nt fair to those who perfer not to use archery tackle.:down: I like to take a young turkey each fall season , but seldom hunt in the spring. It should be open for all or closed. The short week fall season did'nt have many birds taken anyway.:rolleyes:
It's alot harder to take a turkey with a bow, so not as many will be taken as will with firearms. Whatever will help us keep a good turkey population is alright by me. I do like to hunt them and would like to see numbers increase.

· Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
A comment from one of the AGFC heads told myself and another person that the AGFC figured 75% of fall archery harvested turkey were taken over bait. Soooo...they close fall gun season and leave archery open with this in mind. :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,451 Posts
I don't take advantage of the fall firearms season because I'm fully engaged in archery deer hunting by then and therefore don't really care if it closes. However, closing the fall firearms season is, in my opinion, purely a political move.

I don't doubt that a significant number of fall archery turkey kills are over bait. But even then the number of turkeys killed by archery hunters is insignificant. I hunt deer over bait at times and have had turkeys come in. While I don't try to shoot them, they still spook. I doubt that I could shoot one if I wanted to. This is just an opinion, but I'd venture to say that more turkeys are illegally killed over bait with a firearm than with archery equipment.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
I would be tempted to take a turkey in the fall with a bow. Several seasons ago a flock of young turkeys were feeding on a hardwood ridge, so I ran in and busted them up and waited a few minutes before calling. A few of them made their way back in to bow range. One of them was a young jake who made a weak attempt at a gobble, but it was a gobble none the less. I did take a shot at him, but shot over his back. Great time, but later I thought about that jake being a gobbling turkey in the spring. I may not be able to fend off the temptation if it happens this fall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.