Explain Please

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by clane72286, Dec 28, 2010.

1. clane72286

clane72286 Well-Known Member

Someone explain why you use spinning wing decoys. The answer can not have any of the following in it.

Because there Legal

Because Everyone else is using them

or My favorite because my buddies like them.

And while your at it I want to know what they do to help your hunt? Since we have shared how they hurt. I'm more of a pros and cons kinda guy.

2. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

last yr it was high ballen birds and skybusten this yr it is mojos...
    get over it guys they r legal and will be until the boss says so...
    and the only way id vote for them is if it was a nationwide vote.
    just be glad your able to go hunting and not laid up in the bed dieing of cancer or have a condition that would not allow you to go..

3. ksf04001

ksf04001 Well-Known Member

Because sometimes (i didnt say all the time) they help bring ducks in the hole. I dont use them a lot but i have seen times when nothing else was working they brought ducks in. So its pretty simple i use them because they help and i will do anything to kill more ducks.

4. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

:clap:

Dont use one often...unless its a foggy nasty low visibility day....with a remote one that is low to the water it makes it look like ducks flapping their wings then stopping, creating a visual movement, just like your jerk string makes ripples....ill burn my mojo if you throw away your string...deal? Cause whether you agree or not both are ways to catch a ducks attention and direct them to your spread

5. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

if i feel like useing it ill use it if not then i wont:shrug:
    if they gonna ban a mojo then everything needs to be banned simple as that lets go to kicking water and calling and see if the duck numbers dont rise again

6. clane72286

So Far everyone is still saying pretty much the samething there legal so they will use them. I want one person to get on here and just admit the truth. Your afraid with out one you wont be able to kill ducks. You may not beable to get them to look. And to put the jerk string in the same cat. is crap. In know way have they been proven by many studys to kill juvenile birds. I dont care bout your highballing I just want that C grade hunter to get on here and say it is a tool and I'm scared to put it up thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ksf04001

I didnt say i use them just because they are legal, i said i use them because in certain situations they help me kill ducks. Sometimes i use them and kill ducks and sometimes i dont use them and kill ducks. Its pretty easy if robo=killing ducks then i will use one, if robo=flaring ducks then i wont use it. I dont really care what any study says i can see for myself if they work or not. Yes it is a tool, along with calls, dekes, and strings. I dont claim to be an all star duck slayer so you can try to belittle people who use them, but im gonna do whatever it takes to improve my chances.

8. clane72286

Here is just kicking the water dont know if the numbers went up this day.[​IMG]

9. GBacon

GBacon Well-Known Member

Clane,

Here's my story. I have duck hunted for two years now. I own 2 Mojos bought last year (my first year duck hunting). One a baby mojo hen, the other a "floater" mojo drake. I bought them near the end of last season because I "thought" that was part of the arsenal of equipment you needed to duck hunt. :head::confused:

I openly acknowledge that I am a complete novice at this sport. In your words/assessment method, I would say I am a C or D hunter at best. I can't call, don't know the finer details of decoy placement or quantity to put out (but can say I have learned a couple things in the past week), have never been to many of the "good" places that many others have and so far have not been shooting very well this yr. (think I have that last issue worked out, but won't publicly acknowledge what the identified problem was!).

I started duck hunting because my two boys (now 17 and 15) both love to duck hunt. They started hunting with a couple friends about 3 yrs ago while I was deployed to Iraq. :flag:

When I got back to the states I wanted nothing more than to spend some time with those closest to me, doing things we enjoy together. One of those things is now duck hunting.:up:

My observations (not even two whole seasons) on the swd/mojo/robo is that sometimes it helps get ducks to look and finish, other times they are a problem and are the cause of ducks looking, then flaring. I have hunted with and without them. I am not married to using them. Matter of fact, we now have a jerk rig that we really like to use to get some movement in the deeks and are working on getting another jerk string system set up to try out in the next week or so. :idea:

So, I am ok with either way. Others have already pointed out the need for a "nation wide" ban for the true effects and benefits of a ban to really work. BUT, often, nation wide bans on anything start somewhere local first. I think there is merit in getting them banned on state owned WMAs as a starting point. But, to make this a reality, the facts (not opinion or emotions) must be the basis for the discussion.

Sorry for the long post. Just had to give some background on "how I got here".

Now..........call me, I want you (or anyone else willing to take a "rookie" duck hunter under their wing) to take me on a hunt!!:thumb:

10. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service GBacon!!!!

11. mozart_hunter

mozart_hunter Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Winner<b

Wow you killed some ducks, very impressive :clap: so can a lot of other people. Quit being cocking and acting like you're the master of duck hunting

12. blake2345

blake2345 Active Member

:fit: there was also a spinner on a 30 ft pole and a butt duck throwing water everywhere.

13. clane72286

I have over stepped my boundaries I am not Gods gift to duck hunting just a guy that realized if everyone would stop using them then it would help public lands to keep ducks longer. I have been hateful and am sorry for now on I will only post kind things. No sarcasm intended if in the last week I have offended you I apologize. I'm just strong in what I believe and it gets me in trouble.

14. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

I hope they keep em, even on the wma's. Dont like em,dont use em! Like em, use em! Seems like alot of these duck hunters are forgetting they are huntin PUBLIC ground!!!!!!!!!!!

15. zpenter

zpenter Well-Known Member

second that :flag::flag:

16. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I use one most of the time. I might take it up before the day is over, but I usually start out with it. I have duck hunted for 49 years - before spinners, steel shot, choke tubes and 3 1/2 inch shells. I have participated in some local calling contests and done reasonably well, although I will be the first to admit that contest calling and duck calling, for the most part, are entirely different. I have duck hunted in about ten or a dozen states. I have killed a lot of ducks - far more without a spinner than with one. I hunt public ground, with no flooded timber. If all I hunted was flooded timber, I probably would not use one - ducks are MUCH easier to call and decoy in timber than open water - at least for me. I use one for several reasons - all of them directed at improving my success in seeing, working, and killing ducks. I hunt 90% of the time by myself. I usually access my hunting area by pirogue or walk in a good ways. When using my pirogue, I can get a dozen decoys, my spinner, and my dog in there. If I did not take a spinner, I would feel I needed more decoys a lot of the time to attract the ducks - that would mean leaving the dog at home because of lack of room in the pirogue - ain't gonna do that. Where I hunt, it is not uncommon to only see 30 to 50 puddle ducks in the course of a morning. Some days, these may be mostly gadwall, with no mallards and the gadwall in my area are apt to completely ignore a spread with no spinner, so it gives me a much better chance on them. Hunting by yourself, you can only look at so much sky - the spinner might attract ducks from high up or behind me that I never see - possibly putting that one pair of workable ducks over the hole that I would not have seen and been able to call to. I also believe once I get the ducks working, the spinner tends to position the ducks for a better shot, resulting in fewer cripples. So yes - I use it as an aid to put more ducks in the bag. With the exception of a few gadwall over the last couple weeks that just swarmed in on it, the other ducks I have killed using the spinner have required hard calling - usually only breaking off one or two out of a bunch of four to ten. I have not had a mallard this year that just poured in on it with no calling. I consider my reasons for using a spinner no different than my reasons for using a compound bow, deer hunting over a foodplot, using an electronic caller for crows and yotes - it is a tool for making me a more effective hunter. In order of effectiveness in putting ducks in the freezer, I rate my duck boat first (gets me in the vicinity), my call second, decoys third, my pirouge fourth, and my spinner 5th. The opponents of spinners talk like you can throw one of these out near any spot of water, put away the calls and other decoys, take the saftey off, and start shooting ducks in self defense. It does not work like that where I hunt. You better scout, and then scout some more, your decoy spread better be just right, including the position of the spinner and you better be pretty dang good at calling and more than a fair shot - and if you are lucky, you might kill two or three ducks. If you are really lucky - you might kill a limit. If you guys can take a spinner, with no scouting, and place it in any wet area you come to and kill ducks - your hunting is too easy. You guys that go to the same hole and kill ducks everyday - I would say your hunting is a cinch - if you ain't out scouting the ducks everyday after hunting, you have not earned them.

17. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

Very well said!!!:clap:

18. ksf04001

clane i dont think you stepped on anybodys toes, just said you didnt like them. You got your answer why everybody uses them, to kill more ducks. Isnt that what we are all out there to do?

19. theplayer

theplayer Well-Known Member

"You guys that go to the same hole and kill ducks everyday - I would say your hunting is a cinch - if you ain't out scouting the ducks everyday after hunting, you have not earned them."

X2

20. clane72286

Thats exactly what I've been saying. I just dont think in flooded Timber you need a robo