Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Interesting...
That's something to remember next time somebody is telling you about all the turkeys they shoot at 60 yds.
I hope that guy makes some good $ off this article. I'd be broke if I bought all that shot.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
That was an interesting read, great post!

I just wish I could read somebody's research on 20 gage turkey hunting, as we're trying to outfit my 9-year-old daughter for the youth hunt. We've never tried 20's before, and I don't think my 65 lb. girl can take much 3 1/2" 12 gage action, either!

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
Flintknapper--Just remember that pellet count is the only real differnce in many of the 20vs12 turkey loads. For instance.... http://www.winchester.com/products/...QS1TVFhTMjAzNS0xLTM=&action=3&ctype=1&atype=3

Here is the comparison of Win Extendeds in 20 and 12. Same shot size, same velocity just fewer pellets in the 20. A #5 moving at 1225 fps will perform the same whether it is from a .410, 20, or 12. You just won't get the same pattern density with fewer pellets when you factor in longer ranges.

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
I disagree with a couple of his premises, but overall it was an interesting article.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Flintknapper, I was squirrel hunting 3 years ago during the fall turkey season and a flock walked up on me. I shot one with a 6" beard with a 20 guage 2 3/4
1 oz. field load at 30 yards and it knocked the turkey flat. If it will kill a squirrel it will a turkey's head.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
JR1 and Buck Ridge, that's encouraging! She's already proved she can handle the 20 (with a little complaining, but no bruising). Her Paw-paw suggested we send her afield with a 12 gage, but I'm gonna encourage the 20 based on the info from you guys. My wife's got a 20 gage auto with a shortened stock to fit her, and it works pretty well for the daughter. This weekend we'll be patterning it with the full choke, I'll see what the targets say. Thanks!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
I think the inherent problem with these kind of studies is that they always presume a certain load only performs and gets it's maximum effective range when fired through a full choke. My mossberg is a murder weapon out to 50 yards with #6s, and it has a modified 28" barrel. I also killed one turkey at 62 steps, only 2 shot hit the bird....one in the eye and the other in the center of its head!:wink:

·
Registered
529 Posts
We've never tried 20's before, and I don't think my 65 lb. girl can take much 3 1/2" 12 gage action, either!
Flintknapper after heart surgery my Doctors said no guns fired off my shoulder,after my fit, they said I could try a 20ga. I love my new 1187 20ga. I think it kills turkeys better than my 3in. mag. 870 12ga. It actualy out paterned it and my brothers 12ga. 3 1/2.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
The good news is that after patterning the 20 with full choke and #6's at 30 yards, I believe it will kill at that range, maybe a bit further out....

The bad news is the 65 lb. daughter sorta let the stock slip out of place during the testing and got a nasty shoulder bruise, so now she ain't too sure about blasting Mr. Gobbellero. I've got a week, maybe I can talk her back into it, or maybe we just wait 'til next year. Either way, it's been exciting getting the daughter pumped up about hunting. I just hope we havent' pushed the girl too hard or too far...:confused:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
Flint! If your lookin for a 20 gauge for turkey huntin, get your girl a Remington 870 youth model and use Remingtons Turkey Choke! I am 18 years old and duck hunt with my 12 guage, but when spring rolls around, i bust out my youth model. This gun is lighter to carry up and down the ridges, easier to manuever and i have put birds down at 45 yards deader than a door nail. And witnessed a guy shoot a jake at 51 yards with the same gun! I shoot #4's number 6#s are good as well but the 4's patterned better out of my gun! Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Thanks green head! I sort of got used to folks telling me that you NEED a 3 1/2" bruiser magnum, but turkeys have been dying in front of 20 gages for years! Still haven't talked the daughter into doing the shooting, she may just go out with her grampa and just call some birds up. Maybe I can talk her into shooting, we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts