Excel boats

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by quackpipe08, Dec 25, 2010.

1. quackpipe08

quackpipe08 Well-Known Member

anyone have one?? I been kinda lookin at em lately and i was wonderin what everyone thought about them... Just kinda curious about them...thanks a bunch guys.

2. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I've never heard anything but good things about excel boats.

3. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

I'd like to have one, one day.

4. brianb

brianb Member

I have a 2004 model excel with no complaints. Great boats!

5. quackpipe08

anyone know how much they run just the boat n trailer??

6. TheGreatWhiteHunter

TheGreatWhiteHunter Active Member

Excellent Boat

I have an older model, but they are solid boats and are perfect for any environment (timber or river). My uncle bought a new one last year and loves it as well!:thumb:

7. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

Depending on which model And which options you get the price can vary. They are all expensive. I was dead set on an Excel when I was in the market but a few things turned me away. First of all, the price. A 1551 F4 in natgear the cheapest I could get the price was around $7 G's for boat and trailer. The price I was willing to deal with bc I wanted one so bad, but then I found out how much they weigh, which is info that was not readily available at that time. The factory sales rep couldnt even give me an official hull weight which I found odd so I did some further research. That 1551 F4 tipped the scales around 550 lbs. They are built like tanks though and the F4 has tons of storage, very very nice boats. The cheapest one you will find (in the nation)will be at Big River Marine in West Memphis.

8. sunny b

sunny b Well-Known Member

Everybody talks about price....must be lookin in the wrong place sounds like.....guys in our camp has priced getting a couple. there aint 50$ difference in the excel and the comparable war eagle....the excel comes with "stock" options you have to pay for on a the WE too....that is at the place in Searcy....i think the 1544 F4 viper hull natgear was quoted at 5200$.....my buddy just ordered a 1542F WE at Sam Scales and it was 5200$ also......with a flat bottom!:eek: aint none of em cheap......I'll keep my cheap old ugly POS though personally, it still floats.....

9. NaturalStateNative

The Excel dealer in searcy didn't anywhere near $5200 when I got a quote from him in august. Of course I was pricing the F4, not the viper duck boat. The options I had on mine were natgear camo, built in fuel tank, bow rails, and the LED spotlight. I do know that Big river marine told me that it is doubtful that anybody will under quote him, but if they do he will beat it. His quote was already lower so I know half of that is true anyway, can't really vouch for the other half.

10. gooddog

gooddog Well-Known Member

HAVE A 2010 Excel viper 1544 natgear. It will turn on a dime , Just wish i had a 40hp Yamaha or a Mega.

11. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

It looks as if most all of your questions have been answered. I'll sum it up alittle, as I work with a local Excel dealer. The boats are built VERY strong. They are built out of heavier gauge aluminum then most other boats. Even the basic of model comes pre-wired and outfitted with lights, bilge pump, interior light, etc. I can't say enough about how strong the boat is. Now, the down side is that they are very expensive compared to some of the other boat brands. War Eagle and Express both have a hefty price tag and a large following. It's my own opinion that both companies have gotten away from the quality of boat that earned them the reputation they have and are not producing boats that deserve the price they are bringing. (That's my opinion) Back to the Excel. The mfg. facility has been behind in orders and atleast until recently have not had a good, dependable and knowledgeable district sales person. I know of several orders that have been placed with a 90 day waiting list. Only to have the boat painted the wrong color, not outfitted with the correct options, etc. (The last word I got on that was that the problem was going to be corrected) Also, I have seen problems with poor factory outfitting of options. (involving electrical equipment, winches, depth finders, stuff like that) VERY poor in my professional opinion. But fixable by the dealer if he's sharp enough to catch the mistakes. And lastly, the F4 specifically has had some issues involving a lack of factory based knowledge when it comes to how to properly mount the outboard (height), proper pitch selections for the various engines and so-forth. All in all, a VERY well built boat that will take ALOT of punishment. But there are afew 'hiccups' that the company is either trying to fix or needing to fix. As for the price mentioned, the 7g$ for that size boat is kind of steep. BUT if it is loaded with options, it may be about right. Remember that on an F4, a 1544 boat is actually a 14ft boat plus a foot of the 'step' at the back. Infact, if I'm not mistaken I can get you a 1651 (15ft boat plus the 'step') with trailer for about 6700. That includes a couple of options such as camo and I believe hand rails and liner. Would have to check on that. And if you haven't already figured it out, Excel boats offer ALOT of options and those options can run a fully rigged 17ft F4 with every option to above the 20k mark. Perhaps some of all of this explains negative comments or complaints that may have been expressed since the release of the F4. Good luck in your search for that boat that fits your needs.

12. theplayer

theplayer Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is try and find a used one. That is the only way you will get a decent price.

13. quackpipe08

Thanks for all the info guys! Yall had a lot more input than i expected...i think ima try n find one n go look at it in person n maybe try one out.

14. NaturalStateNative

Or, if you aren't completely dead set on an excel...you can get an xpress 1546DDP which also has a reverse chine hull and longitudinal ribs just like the excel for around $3500 boat and trailer :shrug:
    That's what I went with and loving mine so far. And for the people that say xpress slides in a turn....I have tried pretty hard to make it slide the last 2 days and havent done it yet, just sayin