Evindude Eingines Done For?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by SwampCat, May 27, 2020.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Valcourt, Quebec, May 27, 2020 – BRP (TSX: DOO; NASDAQ: DOOO) announced today it has re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. We will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Our Sturtevant, WI, facility, will be repurposed for new projects to pursue our plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.

We remain committed to our Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.

“Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP. “We will concentrate our efforts on new and innovative technologies and on the development of our boat companies, where we continue to see a lot of potential to transform the on-water experience for consumers,” he added.

Discontinuing outboard engine business and signing an agreement with Mercury Marine

Following our decision to discontinue E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, we have signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to our boat brands.
    http://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...-strategy-focusing-boats-and-new-technologies

2. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Wow... That's big really. Never been a fan of Evinrude, but still sorry to see them go.

jackie53 likes this.

3. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

It is what it is...Shame....

4. Evinrude was done for in 2001. This is only the last part of a long ordeal and was not unexpected.

Quack addict likes this.
  5. deadhead

deadhead Well-Known Member Supporting Member

delta.
    I owned an Evinrude once, never again.
    The only outboards I've never had problems with is Yamaha, saltwater or fresh.

6. SwampCat

Evinrude never really escaped the Ficht fiasco. The Opti-bombs liked to have sunk Mercury - but they went full ahead into the four stroke market and pulled through.

i agree - I have had evinrude, yamaha, and mercury - all at one time - and Yamaha gets my money, now.

R6mm, deadhead and orangefeetdown like this.
  7. sam

sam Grand Member

Talked to a friend who's an Evinrude Pro, said he got a call today from Evinrude this morning saying they were out of the motor business for good. Said they said that parts will still be available and warranties will be honored. Other than that he didn't know much more.

As far as FICHT , I have a 2000 year model 200HP FICHT on the back of my Stratos, it's never been touched except for tune ups, impeller replacement and a new lower unit from me hitting a big rock in Minnesota last year. Early ones, 1997-98, were time bombs, later ones were good if you ran the right oil in them. The Evinrude XD-50 was designed for FICHT and is the only oil that's ever been in mine.

jackie53, Polywog and SwampCat like this.
  8. SwampCat

I had two 150 Yamaha 150 HDPI's on an offshore boat early 2000's. Even Yamaha had some problems with their direct injection engines, but they came later to the game than did Evinrude and Mercury - and some of the problems had been worked out. I put 750 hours on both those engines in three years and replaced a single Oxygen sensor. A lot of those direct injection engines - especially the later models - served their owners well. But, the early models gave them a bad name and scared a lot of people away. Yamaha and Mercury both directed most of their efforts after the direct injection engines to the development of four strokes. Evinrude elected to further develop two strokes - and they made some dang good ones. The market, as a whole, just moved away from the two strokes to the four strokes.

9. sam

sam Grand Member

Yep, like it or not, two stroke outboards are a thing of the past.

I was talking to a dealer the other day about this very subject and said I figured that at least with a 4-stoke you'd save on oil costs, he allowed I was wrong. That you might not have to buy oil to add to the gas, but the cost to service a big 4-stroke Merc was $250-$300. Said they needed serviced at least once a year or 100 hours, but added if you were using it a lot and you were running it hard, they recommended servicing it every 50 hours. Whatever you saved on oil would be spent on service.

jackie53 likes this.
  10. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    Hmmm. I have a 115 hp Merc, a 2006 model. I don't spend that to 'service' it. I have gotten oil changes done when I had it in for something else (broke a part by use of a now-discontinued motor-saver), and once when I had some wiring done on boat and just had that done then. Doubt I spent anywhere near that, but my memory is not perfect.

Motor has run flawlessly for 14 years, except for last year when I got some bad gasoline.......and seafoam and running that tank empty fixed that, not a motor issue.

I can't imagine having a 2 stroke again. Full bore WOT, I can have quiet conversation with person next to me. I would say they are not as fast as an equivalent 2 stroke, but speed is immaterial to me. It fires up just like a car, and no smoke, no noise, etc. Heavier and slower by a small factor than a 2 stroke, neither of which matter to me.

jackie53 likes this.
  11. SwampCat

of course, that is coming from a dealer. When I was fishing offshore, there were a lot of days I put 10 hours on my engines. No way would I have thought about getting them serviced every five days of fishing. I was burning two gallons of oil a fishing day. I bought my yama-lube in 30 gallon barrels.

12. sam

sam Grand Member

The Merc dealer I was talking to was talking about the new 250-400hp Verado. I've got a 25hp Nissan 4-stroke on my flatbottom, a quart of oil and 5 minutes and it's serviced.

SwampCat likes this.
  13. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Just my luck. My new boat has an Etec Jet on it. Hopefully I won't need parts for a long time.

14. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

I had several boats I looked at with Etec’s that I almost bought but my buddy @orangefeetdown steered me away. Thanks

orangefeetdown likes this.
  15. Sonofslinger

Sonofslinger Well-Known Member

Eventually someone else will buy the name and start making motors again. It may take awhile though.

16. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    I see a price increase on Mercs and Yammahammers....

17. SwampCat

Wonder what a Tesla outboard will look like;)

18. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    I just don't see how the monstrous solar panels are going to be attached if it goes very fast. Course, it probably won't, so..................

QuailRidge likes this.
  19. Someone mentioned to me that when you're buying a yamaha you're buying a name.

Other way around. When you bought a post-2001 evinrude, you bought a well known name, however the name was associated with the older stuff that actually worked (well most of the time). The newer stuff not so much.

Go to a coast and look at the outboards. What do you see the most? Then stop at a boat shop (not a dealer) and ask them why. My friend owns/operates a charter, smaller deal. Single F300 yamaha. I asked him the last time out whether he had a preference and said it used to be powered by a Merc 250, said it wasn't so much problematic but when it was, it took an act of congress to fix it due to it's design. Said broken bolts were VERY common (and I can attest to that based on the merc's I've dealt with), then of course you have to pay labor time to extract/drill/tap and that's on top of the actual repair. Many many other things he talked about. Said for what he does, the yamaha has served him the best, but it's got about 600 hours on it now and he's thinking about selling the boat (complete) and updating to a little larger rig as money allows.

20. I've had Yamaha's and Merc's and haven't had much trouble out of either.

I'll second what someone else said, 2 strokes are simply becoming obsolete. 4 stroke technology and efficiency has made any performance disadvantage (which isn't much) a non factor when comparing it to a 2 stroke.

Buckrub likes this.