Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this survivor man stuff in the campfire has got me seriously considering one for my next, er uh, first firearms purchase:biggrin: .

Is an AK really worth 2X as much as an SKS? What are reliability and performance differences between the two?

·
Administrator
81,448 Posts
I don't think so. It mainly depends on if you want the AK look or the less evil SKS look. Also, most, but not all, SKS rifles had a 10 round internal mag that can be loaded with stripper clips, whereas the AK's have a detachable mag, 30 rounds being standard, but you can get 40 round mags, and drums that hold up to ~90 to 100 rounds. When I picked up my SAR-1 about 8 years ago, the SKS rifle were running less than $70 and the SAR was ~$200. Now a decent SKS runs between $250 and $300.

If $$ was kinda tight, I'd get the SKS and invest the rest of the change in surplus ammo.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My nephew just got an SKS sythetic in really good shape for $100. I guess he got a better deal than I thought. Also his had detatchable mags. 1 10 round and 2 20's.

I guess maybe I'll try to get him to find me one.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The only reason I would take an AK over an SKS is the magazines.

There are some SKS's that take the AK mag... if you find one... DO NOT BUY IT!!!! PM me and I will take it into protective custody!

As noted for the price difference.... the looks are the only thing other than mags capacity that the AK has going for it over the SKS.

Now.... I have replced the standard ten rd on my SKS with a "Keng's" 20rd mag. I timed my reload from stripper clips and the reload on a 30 rd AK mag and there were only like 3/10's of a second difference in my reload time. Now granted you have to practice to get up to speed with strippers but it can be done.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Now.... I have replced the standard ten rd on my SKS with a "Keng's" 20rd mag. I timed my reload from stripper clips and the reload on a 30 rd AK mag and there were only like 3/10's of a second difference in my reload time. Now granted you have to practice to get up to speed with strippers but it can be done.
Would you mind posting a picture of your thumb after all this practicing loading with stripper clips? I'll post pics of my M1 thumb if you do...:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Well.... I used to have a good deal of practice with strippers from both ilks.

But that's been a while now!!!! Ain't "worked" with a stripper in a good bit....

And Flint- the SKS strippers aren't nearly as bad as the en bloc M-1! Sure it can take some wear and tear on the hands, but it is not nearly as bad as the old Garand!! If an SKS was all I had or wanted to invest in, then getting used to the strippers would be the only way I could see to get the most practical benefit from it.

Notice how I have used the word stripper alot??? I like the word stripper!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
So he likes strippers! Why should Snydedawg be different?

When we sold a few SKS's a few years ago, the aftermarket was offering either an adapter to use AK mags, or was it just an AK mag adapted to snap onto the SKS? Either way, there was a way to adapt to detachable mags. I never tried it myself back then, but now I'm hearing that they turned your SKS into a "jam-o-matic." Anybody tried them?

By the way, I only got one "M1 thumb" early on, and that's usually all it takes!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I still have some of the SKS detachable mags, and they were a headache to reload the weapon in a rush or under pressure. And the ones I was using did impeed the reliability some. One of them just simply was a turd and would not seat properly. It didn't cause much problem other than falling out of the rifle or at the least failing to cycle a round. But, I did fix it. I took a sledge hammer and flattened it out. I tnever failed again!!

And I'm with ya on the one-time rule on the Garand. Once is all it takes to learn...... but I've not always remembered real good either. I've smashed mine more than once. I wish I still had that old M-1D... but youth and ignorance too over and I sold it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my opinion, yes, the AK is worth the money. i have heard and seen too many horror stories about the SKS to trust one. HOWEVER, 99% of those incidents were because of the owners "modifications". i think a person wants an SKS they should leave it original. all guns are dangerous, but when people start trying to modify a rifle with no idea what they are doing, bad things happen. the AK already takes hi cap mags. the mags are cheap. and the rifles are not that expensive. 375$-425$ for a reliable, safe, not to mention awesome rifle is actually pretty cheap. my WASR - 10 is just as accurate as any SKS, and is about 6" shorter.

just my opinion
luke:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
In my opinion, yes, the AK is worth the money. 375$-425$ for a reliable, safe, not to mention awesome rifle is actually pretty cheap. luke:thumb:
I reember the early 90's you could buy a new Norinco (Chinese) AK new in the crate with sling, oiler, bayonet and three 30 round mags for $300 smooth, out of Shotgun News with an FFL. And I thought that was too much! :smack:

·
Administrator
81,448 Posts
I remember back in the 80's when you could buy brand new Colt M16's for less than $1K. Now they run ~$15K and up, and a NIB transferable Colt would probably be close to $20K. Wish I would have had a crystal ball and stocked up on a few goodies.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Dude I feel ya.... just got done looking at one in Shotgun News that was listed for $24K!!!!

When I left Florida in 1988 you could by any HK semi-auto rifle/carbine for $600 at Southside Guns in JAX. From 7.62's to 9mil's didn't matter... $600!!!

Now it is next to impossible to touch an actual HK for under $5k, if it is in any shape at all!!!

And actual IMI Uzi carbines and pistols (Mini and Micro clones) were under $500..... like $425 and up if I remember right.

·
Administrator
81,448 Posts
Dude I feel ya.... just got done looking at one in Shotgun News that was listed for $24K!!!!

When I left Florida in 1988 you could by any HK semi-auto rifle/carbine for $600 at Southside Guns in JAX. From 7.62's to 9mil's didn't matter... $600!!!

Now it is next to impossible to touch an actual HK for under $5k, if it is in any shape at all!!!

And actual IMI Uzi carbines and pistols (Mini and Micro clones) were under $500..... like $425 and up if I remember right.
I remember all those numbers. I wish I would have known then what I know now!! $$$$$$$ :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts