Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got calls the last week from people I never hear from. Some I don't even know. They are all looking for a finished squirrel or coondog. When I ask them what they are wanting to give for one, they usually say around $300. I don't guess people realize how much work and time a person puts in with a dog to finish it out. It takes a lot of days and nights in the woods to get it done. What would you exspect to pay for a finished pleasure dog? One that isn't old in age or crippled up or sick. How about a reg. finished dog. I don't even have a dog for sale. Im just curious what most of you think?

· Registered
257 Posts
I absolutely agree. People want to give puppy prices for finished dogs. But I also think there are dogs out there for $1000 that are supposed to be finished that are not worth $300. Its cheaper to buy a registered finished dog for $1000 than to pay $250 for a pup, feed it for around 6-8 months to begin training, and you still have to hope that its worth all the time and energy spent.

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree and then they want a picture of it,I dont care what the dog looks like,as long as it trees coons.I bought my dog I am hunting now,didnt ask what looked like,but he is a nice dog.
You got that right. THEY ALWAYS WANT A DAMN PICTURE!...LOL...:fit: Them pretty dogs never put meat on the table or points on a scorecard.

· Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
11,013 Posts
I think some dogs are worth $3000...if it is a sure enough finished, won't touch a piece of trash, accurate as hell dog. My opinion though is that some dog traders try to make too much buck on flipping a POS "coon" or "squirrel" dog. I seen a guy on here the other day(and no disrespect to him bc I don't know the whole story, only what I read) that had a female that hadnt been hunted in a couple years he got off a guy because the guy was needing money. He offers the dog for sale at $1000. Then a few days, maybe even weeks bc I don't remember exactly, he drops price to $700. Then even a couple days later he says the rock bottom price is $300 bc that's what he has in him. Now the first thought in my (and not bc this incident but bc numerous like it beforehand) is this seller is asking 4X what this dog is worth bc the seller is trying to make money or is pricing it with a counter offer in mind. Price it for what it's worth and take what it's worth. Don't price high then wiggle...price it what's it worth and sell it at that or don't sell it.

· Registered
390 Posts
Never buy a dog unless you can hunt with it first, also when they ask for a 300$ finished dog take them a 6 month old pup and tell them that he or she is finished staying in my kennel because u get what u pay for and anyone who has a nice finished dog for $300 dont have a clue what a coon or squirrel dog is. U cant raise a pup for 300 by the time you feed and worm and give them all the shots they need you have that much in them at 6 months old. A dog is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. Moose, congrats on a top 16 finish last year with thorn.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
My opinion is that if someone has a dog they truly like they aint gonna sell it. I have one in my pen like that he is nt worth a penny to some but suits me better then any dog I have ever had. Now for those sayin people say they sell finished dogs for 300 I did that and he was a coondog for sure I didn't sell him for as much because my family needed the money. It was more important to have a lil for that dog then wait 8 weeks to get 900 for him. Yal guys need to learn to watch what you put on here yal r starting to go to far and stepping on people's toes that you have no idea what's goin on with them.

· Registered
46 Posts
I sell a startted dog for around 800.00 to 1000.00 . It takes alot of time and money to get one started good.When I say started ,I mean loads in the truck when you tell them,and trees his own squirrells . Not one I have killed two or three squirrels with , but one that I have killed 20 or 30 with.

· Registered
94 Posts
Never buy a dog unless you can hunt with it first, also when they ask for a 300$ finished dog take them a 6 month old pup and tell them that he or she is finished staying in my kennel because u get what u pay for and anyone who has a nice finished dog for $300 dont have a clue what a coon or squirrel dog is. U cant raise a pup for 300 by the time you feed and worm and give them all the shots they need you have that much in them at 6 months old. A dog is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. Moose, congrats on a top 16 finish last year with thorn.
Moose dont own Thorn- Ty Toney owns Thorn.

· Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like more sellers than buyers on here. Let me chime in from the buyers point. I think everybody is lookin for a good deal on a good dog. I started coon huntin a little over a year ago and I have had a young dog gave to me that I got goin good and then the guy took her back, I bought a pretty good dog that died in less than 6-8 months (gave a pretty good amount of money for him), bought several pieces of crap, and raised my own that I put a lot of money in that didn't turn out any good. After all this I'm back starting fresh tring to find a desent dog for a desent price.:banghead: If the sellers would tell the truth about the dogs a guy could afford to spend a big price for a dog that he could know that was good. Too many BSers out there to spend that kind of money. I have also hunted with 2500-3000 dollar dogs that I wouldn't waist a bullet on. My point is its not just the buyers lookin for a good deal its the lying dog traders that make it hard too.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
I'm lookin for a "started dog" now... When I say started, all I mean is I wanna dog that knows what a squirrel is, knows what he/she's supposed to be huntin, and will tree here n there... I hunt enough I can train a dog so that's all I need... I can't see payin 500-600 for a "started dog" that I'll finish out myself.. But If I wanted a finished dog I wouldn't mind payin 1000 or so

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.