Ever Slept In A Parachute?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by John Stiles, Jan 5, 2011.

1. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Who has, when, and why. What was it like?:whistle:

2. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Cant say that I have John. Why you ask?

3. damlockman

damlockman Well-Known Member

I have slept in them and on them. A nice pile of parachutes makes a soft place to catch a nap and if you get cold just pull some over the top and snuggle in!!!! You will be as snug as a bug in a rug! :thumb:

Unless you picked up some ants or a snake when rolling the chute up. :eek:

4. John Stiles

I believe, the mummy bag sprang from the parachute...the way we folded a chute, made it the exact same shape configuration. Where were you, and why the paracutes?:whistle:

5. 2dogs

2dogs Well-Known Member

I have in the riggers shed at Fort Polk. Took a nap in a partially opened on during lunch. Put a small fan blowing towards the opening. Nice and relaxing in the summer heat.

6. damlockman

I was a Air Force rigger. The naps usually were when at the dropzone waiting for the next sortie to drop their loads. I wish I had a dollar for every parachute I have packed, rigged or recovered.

7. John Stiles

I wish I had a couple of them....parachutes that is.:thumb:

8. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

I wore one once..........just Glad I didn't have to use it!!!:biggrin:

Wish I still had my old Mummy bag though John..it sure was warm!!!

9. damlockman

These were BIG chutes 135lbs each.

10. Lonnie

Lonnie Well-Known Member

I cut one up and made a hammock out of a chute one time.

I also got blown off the DZ one night and landed in one of those really tall North Carolina pine trees. Kinda like the ones we see here in the wilderness areas. I dropped my helmet to see how high I was and never heard a thing. I was stuck pretty good so I started maneuvering myself up the tee to where I could jump off the limbs and break away. I finally suceeded after the forth time and fell what seemed like eternity. I had a 100 plus lb. rucksack and weapon and my LBE that helped to drive me pretty hard into the ground!!! OUCH!!!!! I never, ever did that again!!!!

Well the chute was trashed so I cut out a bunch of the suspension lines to use on the FTX.. HA!! I guess you riggers love folks like that!!!:fit:

damlockman are you one of those riggers that use to sign the chute log book with "Mickey Mouse"?

11. damlockman

Condemed chutes make good hammocks!!!

Nope I never signed a log with other than my name.

I never had a malfunction until I was out of the service for over 6 months. Then my name turned up on a chute that had malfunctioned but it WAS NOT my signature. I have never packed a personnel chute because I wouldn't ask a man to jump a chute I packed when I wouldn't jump a chute I packed or that anyone else packed.