Ever Had Shingles?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SwampCat, Apr 8, 2020.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Started as a pain in my left eye a week ago. Full fledged shingle blisters around my eye, forehead, in my hair. How long does the pain symptoms last. Makes the flu seem like a hang nail

Onetrakd and JB Weld like this.
  2. RAZ

RAZ Well-Known Member

Had em twice. I sympathize for you.

3. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    Did you not get the shingles shot? I got the one 3 years ago, the 50% effective one. Then I got the first of the Shingrix shots about a year ago, or less. I NEED to get the 2nd Shingrix, which would make it 90% effective. Part D doesn't cover it much, though. $170 a shot.

Daughter had it in her eye when she was about 35. Took forever for her insurance to agree to cover the shot after she got over it. Doc told her if she got it in her eye the 2nd time, she'd go blind.

Everyone I know that has had it, says it's awful. Prayers for you man. Hard to deal with, to add to everything.

4. SwampCat

No. I didnt get the shot. Going to when ever they let me. For anyone who hasnt got the shot - my advice is to get it - soon.

Fisk and JB Weld like this.
  5. Buckrub

Conway
    Depending on your age, get the pneumonia shot too. I have not heard a single word about whether that shot would help a Virus victim keep from getting pneumonia. But I got that shot too last year. Hurt for days.

Coach_Randy? and sparkie like this.
  6. sam

sam Grand Member

I had several friends who all got the shingles in the same year, 2014. I went to my Doctor and said give me the shingles shot. He said you're 59 1/2, insurance won't pay for it until you are 60. I told him I watched my friend suffer with it and I didn't care what it cost, give me the shot He did and it cost $350. I called it money well spent. I need to get another one, the shot is supposed to be good for 5-7 years.

fat hog likes this.
  7. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Brother, I feel for you. I have had them once and it hammered me!

8. Arkiehunter74

Arkiehunter74 Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2015 Sprin

I also had them in 2014, through the summer. I had them on my shoulders and back. Wearing a shirt hurt like heck, non-stop. If something touched them it hurt, but if something just lightly brushed against them it felt like hot tar being poured on. After a shot and a Z-Pak, it took about 1.5 weeks or them to be gone.

9. sparkie

sparkie Well-Known Member

NEA
    I was lucky I guess I was to see a DR. where I worked. I didn't even have a GP. at the time but I was going to see him for something and I raised my shirt and said does this look like shingles he said yes just a few spots. he gave me a shot. they never really did anything. Wife got a few welt on her back neck area and on her shoulder and the DR. gave her some med for (me) to put on them and she got a shot. She had a really light case. Her dad had them bad age 75. 6" wide almost all the way around his middle raw as they could be. He could not stand for his shirt to touch them. Good Luck

10. SwampCat

i get pneumonia and flu shot. Got the flu this year, too. I will be getting shingles shot

Fisk likes this.
  11. 9 toes

9 toes Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

if you haven't already get to Dr. soon. They can give you something to reduce the pain some and make it go away quicker. But they have to get it early on.

Buckrub likes this.
  12. SwampCat

I went to the eye dr first and he said he saw an infection in my eye and started me on eye drops. Three days later, pain was worse and I called Dr office and they diagnosed as sinus infection - over the phone - and prescribed Zpack. Blisters were just starting to appear then. I sent a pic to my son who is a Dr and he diagnosed as shingles. He wont prescribe medicine unless it is specific to his discipline, so had to call family practice Dr back next day to get a prescription for shingles. They acted like they didnt really want me coming in

9 toes likes this.
  13. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Yeah . Had adrenal gland (with tumor on it ) took out - day before Thanksgiving - back in 90's . On outside at first - then , went internal & lower down on side - right where duty belt rode . Really sux . Took another year to find out what it was . Young doc - fresh out of Army . :oops:

14. I watched my Dad suffer with shingles for over three weeks on his right side from armpit to hip. I made an appt with my GP during that time to get the shot. My insurance only covered part of it so my checkbook took the $185 hit. Money well spent!!!!

sparkie likes this.
  15. SwampCat

$185 is a bargain. I am going to get the shot as soon as they let me. It might not be until next year this time - who knows.

sparkie and Pickloop like this.
  16. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    Check with your pharmacy. New shingles shot is indicated for everyone 50 and up and most people pay nothing out of pocket after insurance.
    Pharmacists can administer it without a prescription so you will at least save the office visit copay.

sparkie and Coach_Randy? like this.
  17. SwampCat

I usually get my vaccinations at the pharmacy. Wonder if they are still giving them and how long I need to wait after the shingles symptoms are gone.

sparkie likes this.
  18. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    I had them about 3 years ago. I caught it early and went to the doctor so they never got back. I do still get pains like pin sticks in that spot now and then.

sparkie likes this.
  19. Buckrub

Conway
    Our Part D, Shringix shots are $170 each.

sparkie likes this.
  20. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

my dad had them on his head and i remember watch him sit with his head in his hands almost in tears when i was a kid. i take the shots from VA now cause i know how bad they can be.

sparkie likes this.