Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed the game and fish the other day about the leasing of lands and this is what I got back. A nice yet generic answer.

Mr. Hudspeth,

I appreciate and value your concerns, questions and opinions about the
oil and gas lease issue.

We plan to use the gas money you mentioned to provide additional
opportunities for sportsmen and wildlife watchers throughout the state.

Everyone is concerned about impacts on land and habitat, and we believe
we've addressed those concerns. We've included contract provisions in
the leases that protect our natural areas and wildlife. These
requirements outline seismic, drilling and pipeline management practices
that we believe will keep the areas safe.

Overall, we believe the benefits of exploration far outweigh the risks.
With the money generated from these leases, we look forward to providing
more and better hunting, fishing, wildlife-watching and conservation
opportunities for all Arkansans.

Of course, we can't guarantee that unforeseen issues may arise, but we
are confident we're looking out for the state's natural resources not
only for the short term, but for generations to come.

Thank you for taking time to offer us your comments and concerns.

Kim Cartwright
Information Officer
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I spoke with one of the State's Representatives this morning. The understanding I received from him was that the lease monies will not be extra $$$ for the AGFC to spend.

He said that there is much ongoing discussion about this and that it was not unusual for Government entities to lease land or buildings be it city, county, or state.

He led me to believe that however much money that received from the lease, the same amount would be deducted from the budgeted amount they receive from the State either annually or over a period of time.

I also asked him about repealing the 1/8 of 1% tax. He said the once a tax is levied that it is nearly impossible to repeal the tax.

This made me wonder if the House of Representatives/Senate have adjusted the budgetary amount the AGFC has been receiving since the tax has come into existence.

I would ask that each and every one reading this to question their State Representative and Senators about how our monies are spent.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I spoke with one of the State's Representatives this morning. The understanding I received from him was that the lease monies will not be extra $$$ for the AGFC to spend.

2dogs...you may want to direct your man to the actual "budget request" by G&F

BUDGET INFORMATION ARKANSAS GAME &
FISH COMMISSION

FOR THE BIENNIUM WITH REQUESTS FOR

2007- 2009 BIENNIUM

(page 4)

"This biennial request includes a new line for Gas Lease Revenues
and includes an estimate of $15 million the first year of the biennium and $5 million the second year. The appropriation request for the first year includes $15 million in the Land Acquisition commitment item and $5 million in the Operating Expenses commitment item. The request for the second year includes $5 million for Land Acquisition and $2 million for Operating Expenses. Requesting extra appropriation for both years will allow the agency some flexibility in allocating the funds between acquisition and repair and maintenance."

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/data/BudgetSummaries2007/Game&Fish/Vol2Game&FishMainDoc.pdf

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Was told the other day by a G&F person that the Governor was since told that if AGFC gave to or had to share their new found money they would NOT be able to get any grant moneys or funding from the government so they say:banghead:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Personally, I do not hold a juris doctorate and am no sort of erudite, what does this mean?

2dogs...you may want to direct your man to the actual "budget request" by G&F

BUDGET INFORMATION ARKANSAS GAME &
FISH COMMISSION

FOR THE BIENNIUM WITH REQUESTS FOR

2007- 2009 BIENNIUM

(page 4)

"This biennial request includes a new line for Gas Lease Revenues
and includes an estimate of $15 million the first year of the biennium and $5 million the second year. The appropriation request for the first year includes $15 million in the Land Acquisition commitment item and $5 million in the Operating Expenses commitment item. The request for the second year includes $5 million for Land Acquisition and $2 million for Operating Expenses. Requesting extra appropriation for both years will allow the agency some flexibility in allocating the funds between acquisition and repair and maintenance."

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/data/BudgetSummaries2007/Game&Fish/Vol2Game&FishMainDoc.pdf

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Personally, I do not hold a juris doctorate and am no sort of erudite, what does this mean?
Let me get this right....:cool:

You use "erudite" in a sentence...on a hunting board....and you cannot understand when your representative has fed you some BS on the G&F budget/spending as shown on that link...which was submitted last year.

...so G&F actually had already made the deal then as it was included in the budget request.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
juris doctorate???? That is a funny tag right there....who said that? First...it's not a true doctorate....in the sense of "Doctor".....ever heard the term: "juris prudence" ....that means about the same thing as "area of responsibility for a lawman." So if you leap to juris doctorate....it would follow that that term has to do with law....or....like; lawschool graduate....like....lawyer>mouth piece>shiester! Hahahahaha!:razz:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know what a eurodite is but i am sure that 2dogs is not one and did'nt understand the biennial request but would be willing to bet my money that after going public that blood is in the water and that the game and fish will not get to keep the money or will loose some funding.. the only way to change that is to keep the pressure on the politicians. but cp you can believe what you want we will see who is right

·
56,488 Posts
Personally, as a stockholder[lifetime]I'd love to see a little public relations money spread around the state, a little more night ops by the WOs to curtail a bunch of this rampant poaching, and an expedition into the realm of big timber companies revenue from hunting and fishing leases, and how much of that $$$$$ is coming back into the kitty.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
but cp you can believe what you want we will see who is right
Not what I "believe" that counts....it is what the Constitution says that counts.

No "politician" can say how AGFC should spend their funds. It is the law.

...from Constitutional amendment 35....
The fees, monies, or funds arising from all sources by the operation and transaction of the said Commission and from the application and administration of the laws and regulations pertaining to birds, game, fish and wildlife resources of the State and the sale of property used for said purposes shall be expended by the Commission for the control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation of the birds, fish and wildlife resources of the State, including the purchases or other acquisitions of property for said purposes and for the administration of the laws pertaining thereto and for no other purposes. All monies shall be deposited in the Game Protection Fund with the State Treasurer and such monies as are necessary, including an emergency fund, shall be appropriated by the Legislature at each legislative session for the use of the Game and Fish Commission as hereto set forth. No monies other than those credited to the Game Protection Fund can be appropriated.

All money to the credit of or that should be credited to the present Game Protection Fund shall be credited to the new Game Protection Fund and any appropriation made by the Legislature out of the Game Protection Fund shall be construed to be for the use of the new Commission and out of the new Game Protection Fund.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not what I "believe" that counts....it is what the Constitution says that counts.

No "politician" can say how AGFC should spend their funds. It is the law.

...from Constitutional amendment 35....
They have already fixed that. The state withdrew 29 million from the AGFC budget this summer. They aren't taking any gas money. They are taking money away that was already alocated to them.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Let me get this right....:cool:

You use "erudite" in a sentence...on a hunting board....and you cannot understand when your representative has fed you some BS on the G&F budget/spending as shown on that link...which was submitted last year.

...so G&F actually had already made the deal then as it was included in the budget request.
Obviously, only folks with over 1000 post are of "erudite" like qualities on this board. Either that or have way too much time on their hands; which I applaud. I can't wait until the point in my life to be able to give something outide my faith, family, or job this much attention.

Hey please don't take that wrong way. I appreciate the effort CP has put into protecting our money through research of the State Consitution.

However, I happen to disagree with the train of thought. I have been fortuate enough to work with an organization that has a multi- hundred million dollar budget (Government Agency). I have seen monies added and depleted upon the operational tempo without reservations. If we were able to obtain funds for sources outside our organization then our parent organization would pull funds and reallocate them where needed.

Now that probably poorly stated, I do not agree that the State would actually pull funds from the AGFC. I would love to see the actual budget the State Congress allocates for the AGFC. I should be dumb enough to believe that the AGFC can operate on the sale of license and the 1/8 of 1% sales tax provided to them, but I am not. The problem I have is that, if I am correct, all lands purchased by the AGFC have been done with license sales, etc... not monies allocated by the State Government. I do not think that someone that has never invested in the AGFC should benefit from the fruits of our labors.

The orginal point I was trying to make was that everyone should contact their congressman and sentor to voice your concern about how the money is spent or what the outcome of it should be.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
They have already fixed that. The state withdrew 29 million from the AGFC budget this summer. They aren't taking any gas money. They are taking money away that was already alocated to them.
Uh...
IF they fixed this "this summer"....why is our Governor, ON AUGUST 1, 2008....still...wanting the AGFC to "share" this particular revenue with non sporting groups???

Read this very closely..... http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-07-29-14-30-15

·
56,488 Posts
........... The problem I have is that, if I am correct, all lands purchased by the AGFC have been done with license sales, etc... not monies allocated by the State Government. I do not think that someone that has never invested in the AGFC should benefit from the fruits of our labors.

The orginal point I was trying to make was that everyone should contact their congressman and sentor to voice your concern about how the money is spent or what the outcome of it should be.
The people that generate the revenues we are talking about, are those that hunt, fish, buy ammo, or hunting and fishing gear. They are the ones that should benefit[at least to a degree] from any windfall profits that spring out of their investment. I've always heard the term "giving back"....I see much profit taking right off the top, but I'm not hearing of any "Giving Back". Therein lies my concern, and interest.....as far as the politicians stealing from the "fund" well....consider the source. Take it to your congressman???????:confused::head::whistle:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Uh...
IF they fixed this "this summer"....why is our Governor, ON AUGUST 1, 2008....still...wanting the AGFC to "share" this particular revenue with non sporting groups???

Read this very closely..... http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-07-29-14-30-15
CP this article echoes the example I gave of our parent organization retracting monies. I would wonder if the Feds will adjust the allocation they give to the State if the AGFC gets to keep the monies anyway??????

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
2dog....cut me any way you like...I think I may be able to hang in there..:wink:

First..
I really doubt that your company had a State Constitution to dictate how you operated.

Second...
The AGFC budget is open for you to view...all eighty sumpin million of it.

Third....
If you read the last link I put up, you might see that Federal Money went into the purchase of some of the lands in question. That shines a whole new light on who gets what.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The people that generate the revenues we are talking about, are those that hunt, fish, buy ammo, or hunting and fishing gear. They are the ones that should benefit[at least to a degree] from any windfall profits that spring out of their investment. I've always heard the term "giving back"....I see much profit taking right off the top, but I'm not hearing of any "Giving Back". Therein lies my concern, and interest.....as far as the politicians stealing from the "fund" well....consider the source. Take it to your congressman???????:confused::head::whistle:
I through..... you boys have worn me down. I am sorry that I cannot articulate my thoughts through this post or emails for that matter for some to understand what I mean. Although I don't find myself measuring every letter of every word as some do to disprove the intent of others on this board.

If one of you guys are a moderator please just delete any comments I have made on the subject. I cannot believe I was ignorant enough to share my thoughts on such an important subject............... lesson learned

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.