Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by SwampCat, Nov 7, 2017.

1. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

No kidding! Considering your luck I might hire an electrician, maybe even an electrical engineer.

Saw a note inside a breaker box once that said "if you don't know, then Don't!". Seemed like words to live by.

2. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

You're going to have to run an extension cord from an outlet on a good circuit and forget about this one.

JohnnieWalker, mr4pt, curdog1 and 2 others like this.

3. arits74

arits74 Well-Known Member

Check all the outlets that ain't working. Sometimes when they were put in they just pushed the wires into the back and this connection becomes weak over time. The problem could even be in one that's working but not letting power feed through to the others.

4. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Been down this road before myself with outside GFI outlets. Every home owner that wants to be a DIY guy needs a good multi meter and know at least the basics on how to use it.

Start at the breaker and check for power coming out to first outlet on the circuit and go from there. My problem was the first outlet had gone bad and was killing the remainder of the circuit.

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I have a meter. I have also done a good bit of wiring. I didnt do this. I have called an electrician - he is backed up. Thought I might figure something out myself. What I would think is the first outlet on the circuit does not have power coming into it

6. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Wasn't implying that you couldn't handle it, that was just a funny note I found one time. I was just thinking with your luck you'll plug something in at the same time lightning strikes, while a squirrel is touching the line, simultaneously there will be a solar flare on the sun, and knock out power to half the county.

7. SwampCat

Believe me, dont think for a second I havent considered a lightening strike and rattlesnake bite - at the same time while I am crawling around under the house.

JB Weld, silentassassin and whetstone like this.
  8. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator

Just a guess, but I had a similar problem recently. Ground wire had burned in two inside the wire nut because of a loose connection.

9. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to imply that you did not have a meter or how to use it. Just a general statement to start with.

I also had a problem with a loose wire in my breaker panel in the not too distant past. Happened on the laundry room circuit right after the purchase of a new washer so naturally I thought it was a washer problem, then a breaker problem. Traced the wires from the breaker and saw where the common side was black from arcing in the terminal strip! Yikes! Shut the power off and went through all connections in the breaker panel after that.

10. SwampCat

Yes - i only took it as a general statement. I cant take it any farther than I have. The breaker checks fine on the meter - but no power at outlet that I would call first in the series. I am going to change the breaker and if that does nothing - will wait on the electrician

11. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    If you have power on the load side of the breaker then it's good.

12. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

Ok. The first gfci on that circuit is where id look. It may have a internal short killing the rest. Next..if you used the wire hole push in and not the side wire screws, those can corode and cause this. Start at first drop checking for power. Both sides.

13. tmeredith

Swampcat, did you try kicking the crap out of the recepticle?

curdog1 likes this.
  14. SwampCat

Yes - that is the first thing I did. Power didnt come back on but made me feel better.

tmeredith likes this.
  15. tmeredith

I give up then. Did you cuss while you kicked it?

whetstone likes this.
  16. SwampCat

Like a sailor.;)

silentassassin and tmeredith like this.
  17. crappieitis

crappieitis Well-Known Member

Fouke
    It sounds like you lost a leg of power at that first box....

18. RustyL

RustyL Well-Known Member

Sounds like an open neutral in one of those receptacles.

19. jackiereed

jackiereed Well-Known Member

Hazen
    You should be able to check the side terminal screws without removing the GFI from the box. If there is no voltage then check from each terminal screw to ground to make sure there is no voltage again.

Reason for this is just incase each terminal has 110v and coming from the same power leg, then it will register as having no voltage when you actually have voltage. If you accidently touch one of the terminals and touch ground at the same time you will get zapped. So its always safe to be sure you check from each side to ground