Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my son this last weekend. He is six. I think we educated 9 gobblers Sat. and 5 more Sunday. We only shot at a group of 4 Sat. and a group of 5 Sun. I took him to every spot I have. I was wondering if anyone has missed that many Turkeys and still have them work in a week, after being shot at. I'm thinking my hunting will be pretty bad after we spooked over half the gobblers we hunted, Do I need to stick with them or do you all suggest I find some more birds ?

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I took my son this last weekend. He is six. I think we educated 9 gobblers Sat. and 5 more Sunday. We only shot at a group of 4 Sat. and a group of 5 Sun. I took him to every spot I have. I was wondering if anyone has missed that many Turkeys and still have them work in a week, after being shot at. I'm thinking my hunting will be pretty bad after we spooked over half the gobblers we hunted, Do I need to stick with them or do you all suggest I find some more birds ?
I would find some more birds.And don't take this the wrong way,.. But
shooting practice also.:biggrin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would stick with the birds. The guys I hunt with typically bust up gobbler groups each year by shooting one of the birds and are back on them the following day. Good luck with them.:thumb:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Stick with them ........ thats a lot of birds you may have to change the way you hunt them ,** but give then a week you will be fine ... or just tell me where they are and i will try them ...:cool:

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
I wouldnt leave 9 birds. They will forget. Just use a different tactic and calls. Dont do the same thing in the same place and you will do well. Just dont miss! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Keep after 'em. I've only missed two gobblers in my life and both of them were on the same morning at different spots. After missing the second one (not quite a half mile from the first location) my dad and I went back to the first spot and I was showing him where I'd been sitting and where the turkeys came and all of that stuff. We decided to sit down and call for a bit and had another big longbeard come up behind us and get off to the side of us without getting a shot off.
I've also heard a few stories about an old man that used to live around here. It's been said that he once killed two or three birds off the limb in one morning and then managed to call in another gobbler in the same area and kill it. Makes me :mad: to hear about stuff like that but at the same time I can't help but be a little impressed.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Never leave 9 gobblers :wink:That is unless you want to let me hunt them :biggrin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. Its good to hear what other hunters would do in this situation. The 9 where in 3 different spots , but the group of 5 were with about 25 hens. That was the big flock and I think they will stay with in a mile or so of where he shot . I think those are the ones to go after. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
If it was me I would devote all week, rain or shine, to spend all day shadowing them and even sleep amongst them!!!!!!

Well, I probably wouldn't go that far, but I would definitely stay after them. They are hard up for love right now, so there is a good chance they won't be thinking about the shots. I don't know any of the details, but there is also a great chance that they have no clue that they were shot at. They are so spooky in the first place and scatter at the first threat of danger, so they may dwell on that no more than an attempted attack from a predator.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
I have a missed one and called him back up 10 minutes later and he came in gobbling. He never got out of sight. When I shot he took of running, he ran about 100 yards, I called to him, he stoped and gobbled, 10 more minutes he was on my back.:thumb:

If you are in an area that has that many turkeys you will not have a problem at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went back to the exact same spot where my son missed his turkey. The only thing I did different was use my mouth call instead of slate,and no decoys. I had company with me and the guy had never shot a Turkey before so I let him pull the trigger.....so we had a dead turkey at 7:00 . 11" beard and 20lbs only 3/4 spurs though. I think my guest is really hooked now !! He killed another one Sunday 11" beard and 22lbs !! We would have been 3 for 3 come Monday. But I missed one. Forgot to chamber a shell :smack: , when I jacked another one in he broke to run and I just flat out missed :censored:
We had a blast !!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
How educated do these birds get?

I missed one tuesday morning. I didn't want to go right back to the same spot today so I gave him a break. I am going back tomorrow morning and hopefully will be back on him early.

How long do you guys usually wait before going back to the same spot after missing one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts