Edge of Outdoors

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by woodsnwater, Dec 30, 2010.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Not sure on how all this Blog is suppose to go. I have a lot of pics and no scanner. Though therefore I will do what I can do. I lived in Hazen 42 years of my life. I feel very fortunate where I live. I live 1 1/2 from Wattensaw, 4 miles from Cache River Refuge and 15 miles from Dagmar. Then I have White River and Cache River right there handy for fishing. So, I'll post some pics here and a short story.....................

2. woodsnwater

Kool aid, minced garlic and hotdogs.

I read on here about bait and decided to give it a try. I set out some trot lines out down from the house on the bayou. Didn't wear them out but did catch a good mess.
    [​IMG]

3. woodsnwater

Barrel net

Cousin of mine want some help to run barrel nets. So, I tagged along. We hit the Mother Load. 1st time doing this with him was like a Christmas morning. We barely could roll the net over and this was the biggest flathead out of the bunch.
    [​IMG]

4. woodsnwater

Trot lining

A cousin and I did some mid summer trot lining on the Cache. We pretty much was out all night. It was a blast. We for got out dip net and I had to shove my hand down their mouths. My hands looked like I been in a boxing match. 20 cats in all. Mostly flatheads.
    [​IMG]

5. woodsnwater

Bass fishing

I got off work one afternoon and decided to hit the reservoir near my home. Caught several 2lb bass. Then caught these 2. Had pics taken and released them back.
    [​IMG]

6. woodsnwater

Bear track

I do all my squirrel hunting on the Cache. One morning as I was walking back to my boat I came across this bear track. I would have liked to seen it, but did continued to hunt there. Never seen him ( or her ).
    [​IMG]

7. woodsnwater

Squirrel hunt

One of my passion is squirrel hunting. Good time to do a little pre-season scouting too. I had a good year and the year before that. If one did ot walk out with a limit then you was at fought.:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

8. woodsnwater

Squirrel hunting

Notice the one I am holding. The black markings on him. I killed a few like him this past year. He would make a good mount. Maybe if I kill another one then I may.
    [​IMG]

9. woodsnwater

After the squirrel hunt.

Sometimes I like to fish after squirrel hunting. Friend and I did pretty good on the river. We both limited out on squirrels and caught a good mess of crappie and bass.
    [​IMG]

10. woodsnwater

Bowhunting

I started hunt over at Dagmar this year to get away from people. I seen several does and a few bucks. Last day I was gonna get to hunt this bad bay came. He gave me the run for my money. I shot him at 7am and got back to my truck at 3pm. Talking about wore out. It was worth it.
    [​IMG]

11. woodsnwater

Son's 1st buck

My son was down for the youth hunt, but it was too hot to hunt. So, the next time he was down we went to a ground blind I arranged. He shot a 4pt. with his 30/30.
    [​IMG]

12. woodsnwater

Step son 1st buck

I wanted to go to the 2 man blind but he wanted to hunt the other. I was not there, but kept contact by texting. He had a few does come up but he got busted. Later, this 3pt. walked out and got a shot off. He was very happy. He shot it with a crossbow he bought with his money.
    [​IMG]

13. woodsnwater

Cousin's son 1st buck

I get more joy looking at faces of kids and there 1st buck ( or doe ). His Dad was unable to carry him due to brain tumor surgery. So, I took him. Missed a doe that morning, but that afternoon bust him a 3pt.. We weren't there 20 minutes.
    [​IMG]

14. woodsnwater

Son's 2nd buck

Well, my son shot his 2nd buck this year. 5pt. with 2 kickers coming off the base. The buck really gave us fits, but we sealed the deal.
    [​IMG]

15. woodsnwater

Well, been on vacation for a while. Hunted some, leisure some and getting boat ready for fishing. My hunting season is just about over. Not a good year for me, but for the 3 boys I took out and killed bucks. Very rewarding. I plan to continue to bowhunt some. Got a trip planned out on a lease. It has turkeys, deer and hogs. I may join. I'll know more when I get down there. Planning to carry my bow and .22mag. I want to kill one with both. I am very excited about this. Then my next planned trip will be in the Spring. I'll be heading to Pendelton to do some white bass fishing and catfishing. I got skip jack from last year's trip and gonna give it a try. After that my hands in turkey hunting.

16. woodsnwater

Bass fishing with son

Well my son decided to take a hand in a little bass fishing with me a few times this past summer. It took a little bit to get use of flipping and knowing to set the hook. We did alright.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. woodsnwater

1/3/2011 crappie fishing

Well, got up this morning and headed out on the river lake. It was very cold and fog on the water. I cranked up and to some under water tree tops were laying. I started trolling around and caught 1 right off the bat. I set out a couple of hoops and yo-yos out but did not even get a bite on them. I would pick a crappie up here and there. Finally, there got turned on. Caught several small ones, but caught some good one as well. Getting close to noon they finally shut off. Gonna restring one of my poles and charge battery up for in the morning.

23 crappie/ 2 bass / 1 bream
    [​IMG]

18. woodsnwater

Spent some time over looking some of my fishing spots and not looking good. White and Cache is extremely low. So, I improvised. The bayou was low and had to work to catch one crappie. So, I hit the river. I begin hitting pockets off the river, just trolling around. White bass was hitting pretty good, but was no match for crappie jigs. Were talking about large white bass. I would not be able to put in ice chest if I landed them. About 2:00pm the crappie begin to hit. I did not catch 6 slabs, but it was a nice day to be on the water. Planning to go back soon. Wore out today, so resting and being lazy. Gosh, I need a bigger fishing rig and a depth/fish finder may help in this situation. Wish I could hit the lottery.:biggrin: So, when you think it is all over and no where to fish. Try something new. Might be surprised. I was.