edge 650 vs 550

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by sbrokerboy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Member

LR
    just wondering the weight difference and speed difference between the two, not trying to win any races but also don't want to run 25mph wide open either.

my motor is a 3cyl yam

thanks in advance

2. Razorback123

Razorback123 Super Member<br>The Original BBDH

It will most likely be about 1-2 mph slower. Not a crazy amount of speed loss. But a lot of it depends on setup.. Trim and tilt, prop, weight distribution...

3. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Member

LR
    thanks dude I can't believe all the views and only one person had any input, I would have thought with all the edge discussions there would have been 65 replies with GPS pictures of speed differences. :)

4. Razorback123

Well I was recently in the market for a new boat and know you want real input to help you decide.. I'm going 40 as a top speed and with 2 ppl and gear going 37. That's plenty fast. Trust me

5. Razorback123

I'm running a 3 cyl yam too btw... And that's with a 13 p prop if I try a 14 It might go a little faster. It's just gonna come down to what your gonna use your boat for mostly and all that. Pm me when u get a chance

6. blackcorn

blackcorn Well-Known Member

I've got a 650 with the same motor you're asking about. With my blind on the boat and a hunting load mine will run 35-36 right now. I've had to do some work to the bottom of the hull to get where I'm at. Maybe a little more tweaking and it'll speed up a bit but I'm fine with were its at right now. I'll probably get back to work on it come spring time.

7. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

What did you do to your hull and where at? Message me some pics if you would. My hull definitely needs work bc the nose will not get out of the water. Tried all different setups. Running 4-5 mph slower than it should.

8. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Member

LR
    can you post up some pics of what you did to your hull? I am intrested in seeing it as well. Everyone has posted up about the 550 but there is very little about the 650's. I don't have to have the fastest every time but would like it to be fairly quick. I usually hunt alot of people and just wanted a bigger boat to haul enough stuff.

thanks in advance.

9. blackcorn

blackcorn Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can make out what I did. Basically I built up the weld and created wedges on the outside of the bottom with epoxy. The wedges are about 3/16" tall and come forward a couple inches. Before doing this, I couldn't add any positive trim whatsoever without the boat porpoising terribly. Now the porpoising is under control but I may still do a little sanding and tweaking to try and perfect it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. greenhead smackdown

Gotcha, so you had the exact opposite issue from me

11. Razorback123

Greenhead. Im telling you the problem is that weld. If you slowly grind it down then the nose of your boat wont be plowing into the water and it should fix it. The key is to do it slowly and very carefully. Grind a little bit off, run the boat and see if it is fixed. Do this process until it is fixed. It will take awhile but it can be fixed.

12. greenhead smackdown

I understand that. That has already been done. The weld is the least of the concern on the bottom of mine. Would have to see it to understand
    [​IMG]

13. Razorback123

That looks like a terrible hook. :smack:

14. Salyfz

Salyfz Active Member

This is exactly how both of mine looked.....big hook in two different boats! Ran like crap! My dealer ended up refunding me my money.

15. greenhead smackdown

Mine is 4-5mph minimum slower than what it should be. And there is plenty of rigs to compare it to.

16. Salyfz

Salyfz Active Member

My first boat was about 10 mph slower than what it should have been. When I saw my second boat I didn't even bother having my motor put on it.
    With that much hook you will have a hard time getting your boat to run with any weight at all in the front. I was told they are building them like that.
    I would buy another Edge if they start building them with a straight bottom again!

17. greenhead smackdown

I got this one back in late february, which was just when the busy time started for him. I have a good friend that got one just after they started selling them, and his has a pretty good hook, but his speed isn't hurt that bad as long as you keep the weight in the back.

I also believe the hooks are causing water issues to the prop when in turns, causing the prop to blow out severly in turns.

18. Razorback123

I don't think I have any bad hook in my boat the only way it will blowout in turns is if the motor is trimmed up a pretty good ways and then I turn it basically as sharp as I can. I guess I got Lucky idk. Only problems with my boat is that the area where the high deck is is warped pretty bad. It looks like they took the 556 piece and crammed it into the 550 but that can wait to be fixed until after the season cause lord know it would take them years to fix it

19. Salyfz

Salyfz Active Member

My two boats were bought in May and July 2012. I looked at a 2011 and it was straight as it could be.

Hey Razorback123, when did you buy your boat? Do you want to sell it? LOL

20. Razorback123

bought mine the first of september and picked it up on November 2. And heck no!! Im not buying another boat for a long time.