Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see....I have a friend :whistle: that just bought a new Bushmaster M4 A3 today and since he's never owned a new EBR he's wanting to start this one out the right way.

What is the proper way to break in a new barrel on a new Bushy 16" AR-15? Do the chrome lined barrels need special treatment during the break in period?

What bullet weight is generally more accurate out of the 16" 1:9 twist tube at say 200 ~ 300 yards?

My friend anxiously awaits your reply and will appreciate all feedback. :up:

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BULLET SLINGIN' YAHOO's! :flag:

P.S.
My friend can't post pictures because he left his camera at deer camp. :doh:

.270Win

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I've heard that the proper way was to shoot approximately 10 rounds out of your rifle, one round at a time. Run a couple of patches down the barrel between each shot, allowing the barrel to cool before firing the next shot, and by the time all ten rounds have been fired you should be good to go.

That being said, every new rifle that Uncle Sam has graced me with has been broken in with a long, sustained shooting session consisting of 100-150 rounds fired in semi-auto and burst (or Auto if it was so equipped). Being cleaned once the range session was over. It's seemed to work great so far!!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Hit the Bushy web-site or the OlyArms site.. they did have a "suggested" brea in for their own barrrels. I have never properly "seasoned" an AR barrel so I have no idea what is the "best" way..

My BIP's have matched QuarterBore's........ rounds down and then cleaning!

Accuracy is going to be subjective too. Each barrel is a science into itself. But, most of what I shoot or have ever shot is the standard 55gr ammo. I've shot up to 80 and as little as 40, and depending on range and conditions; I can get very little practical difference in accuracy... though obviously the POA-POI will be different from load to load!

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
What bullet weight is generally more accurate out of the 16" 1:9 twist tube at say 200 ~ 300 yards?
1/9 twist will generally handle the 53 - 69 grain bullets pretty well. If you go over 69 grains, you need to start looking at 1/8 or 1/7. The old SP1's had a 1/12 twist, and about 55 grains was the heaviest bullet they could stabilize.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.