Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S&W M&P15 does not have the picatinny/tactical rail on it and I have been looking for one to add to it. I'm not really wanting to add a whole new forearm to it, plus I couldn't afford one right now anyway. I've looked at several different ones, but was wondering if there is a certain brand to stay away from or a certain brand to go ahead and buy. I don't know if this helps but, I'm wanting to add a forward grip and possibly a flashlight or a lasersight to it.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
That's a pretty darn good price on a railed forearm. Be advised they come in three flavors: CAR/M4 (short) Mid-length (self explanatory) and rifle length (long).

Also note that the end cap that holds the forearm at the front can be triangular shaped on the older AR's and the newer ones and M4's are round. Just be sure of what you got before you order what you want, or something like that.

·
Administrator
87,243 Posts
I think I got mine from cheaperthandirt.com. $60, replaces the straight forend.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR146-7.html
I have 2 sets of these carbine length rails, and they do just fine. I have had them for a few years and use them on a couple of 16" rifles that I compete with. The lock in tight and are 1913 sized to take components that fit the mil-spec 1913 rail. I had a Knights Armament rail that was about 4 times the price and I could tell no difference. They have just introduced a rifle length model and I'll probably be picking one of them up in the near future. They are vented and allow the barrel to dissipate heat more readily.

If I was going over to the sandbox for some serious work, I might want something different than a Taiwanese $60 rail. On the other hand, I have never seen any tests done that prove that the higher priced rails out do the lower priced rails. Could it be that the Chinese actually produce a good product and don't actually have to charge an arm and a leg for it??

If this is more than the budget allows right now, there are rails that attach to the vent holes in the handguards. They would probably do well enough to attach a light or VFG.

Here's mine on an M4gery...

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
....there are rails that attach to the vent holes in the handguards. They would probably do well enough to attach a light or VFG.
Speaking of which.... today UPS brought my new verticle front grip and it came with one of the rails you're describing....only problem is I need to remove the handguards in order to install the rail. I've got one of the tools on order that is used to compress the delta ring, but it's not here yet.

How do ya'll remove your handguard?

.270Win

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I've put my carbine butt-down on a chair between my legs and had the missus pull the handguards out while I pulled the delta ring down with both hands, but I really don't recomend it! I did that once by myself and I REALLY don't recomend that, but it's doable.
What's the trick to getting them loose at the front, after the delta ring is pushed down?

.270Win

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Well, the handguards must slide to the rear to come out of the "handguard holder" behind the front sight, and mine were a tight fit. That's a good thing, because I hate rattles, but it makes for some interesting contortions the first time out. Seems like mine got easier, eventually, but it's still a tight fit.

The first time was a bugger, I had the wife come yank on the handguards while I wrassled the delta ring. It took a few tries! :whistle:

·
Administrator
87,243 Posts
Well, the handguards must slide to the rear to come out of the "handguard holder" behind the front sight, and mine were a tight fit. That's a good thing, because I hate rattles, but it makes for some interesting contortions the first time out. Seems like mine got easier, eventually, but it's still a tight fit.

The first time was a bugger, I had the wife come yank on the handguards while I wrassled the delta ring. It took a few tries! :whistle:
That's right, they are tough at times. It'll make you cuss if you're a cussin' man, but I know you ain't a cussin' man, 270!! :fit:

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I see what you mean....mine almost look like they're "crimped" under the front holder....wasn't sure if they twisted out or just slid to the rear when the delta ring is compressed. I found a video on YouTube that demonstrated the Brownells delta ring tool, so I've got a pretty good idea what I've got to do now. :up:

Thanks brother!

.270Win

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've put my carbine butt-down on a chair between my legs and had the missus pull the handguards out while I pulled the delta ring down with both hands, but I really don't recomend it! I did that once by myself and I REALLY don't recomend that, but it's doable.
That is how it is recommend in my owner's manual. :smack:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.