Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Ask Mr. C. about his registered short barreled rifles (SBR's). :cool:

As for myself, the shortest you can go without papers and tax stamps is 16". It's handy, short, and easy to tote. You don't give up a whole bunch of velocity verses the 20" barrels.

The military M4's are 14.5," so somebody determined that that's a handy barrel length. Either that, or that's the longest barrel you can comfortably get through the door of an up-armoured Hummer with body armor on! :smack:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if the bullet trajectory and accuracy on a 16" would reach out to 200 yrds. If so, I would not have a problem with a short 16. Does anyone have a rock river rifle? They looked pretty good and were closer to my price range.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I was wondering if the bullet trajectory and accuracy on a 16" would reach out to 200 yrds. If so, I would not have a problem with a short 16. Does anyone have a rock river rifle? They looked pretty good and were closer to my price range.
My upper is a Rock River heavy 16" barreled flattop. Unfortunately, my shooting has been limited to 50-60 yards, so I can't tell you about my long-range accuracy yet, but folks regularly shoot out to 300 yards with 16" tubes.

I was really pleased with the products and service from Rock River. :up:

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I can only chime in with personal experience with a 14.5 inch barreled M4. I know that with an ACOG equipped M4, I can hit a man sized silhouette 9 out of 10 times at 300 meters...pretty darn accurate if you ask me. Just as accurate as my 20 inch A2. That's my experience...YMMV.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I can only chime in with personal experience with a 14.5 inch barreled M4. I know that with an ACOG equipped M4, I can hit a man sized silhouette 9 out of 10 times at 300 meters...pretty darn accurate if you ask me. Just as accurate as my 20 inch A2. That's my experience...YMMV.
It comforts me to know that the military is investing in state-of-the-art weapons sighting systems, such as the ACOG and EOTech holosights.

After thinking about that for a second, I'm sure it comforts you fellers "over there" that have to use them for non-recreational purposes even more!

Sportsmanetic, did QuarterBore answer your question? :biggrin:

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Barrel length really has noting to do with accuracy. You'll see a lot of benchrester's that use 18 inch barrels.

I have 16 and 20 inch rifles. I prefer the 16" length just for the easier handled rifle. When I compete, I shoot the 16" rifle if the range is going to be under 150 yards or so. When we shoot 300 to 350 yards, I prefer the 20" tube just for the added velocity. That equates to a flatter trajectory at the longer ranges.

All of the top competitors in USPSA 3 gun and multi gun shoot 18 or 20 inch barreled rifles. The national level competitions shoot out to 500 yards.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. That is exactly what I was needing to know. I probably would not be shooting any further than 300 meters at any given time. The 16 " tube would be shorter and lighter and would be something my wife could use easier in a pinch. Thanks for the information.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
You'll like the 16" barrel. The M4 profile is a lightweight barrel that your wife should have no problem with. It's light under the handguards and weighs about a pound less than the HBAR profile.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The M4 set up is nice. You'll like it. Quick handling. And although I like the adjustable stock is nice for transporation and for the wife and son shoots, I would sure look into a fixed stock if I were mainly shooting long range targets. They just feel more stout to me.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yes, the 6 position stock was another thing I was looking at getting.

Mr.C, will the rock river lower fit any upper receiver or is it limited to just thier receivers?
Not to step on Mr. C's extensive knowledge of the subject, but any upper assembly chambered for 5.56 (or .223) should fit on your lower. The only exception I'm aware of is Colt products. Some of thier products use different diameter take-down and pivot pins.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Not to step on Mr. C's extensive knowledge of the subject, but any upper assembly chambered for 5.56 (or .223) should fit on your lower. The only exception I'm aware of is Colt products. Some of thier products use different diameter take-down and pivot pins.
Correct. Back years ago, Colt tried to be politically correct and changed the diameter of the trigger and hammer pins so that someone couldn't put machine gun parts in the lowers, and also changed the size of the front takedown pin. No one else ever bought in to it.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
The M4 set up is nice. You'll like it. Quick handling. And although I like the adjustable stock is nice for transporation and for the wife and son shoots, I would sure look into a fixed stock if I were mainly shooting long range targets. They just feel more stout to me.
An easy you to do this is to buy either a complete lower with a fixed stock, or to purchase a stripped lower and build it yourself. Either way, you should be able to do this for ~$250 or so.

I swap uppers and lowers all the time. It will work just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.