Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok, i know i will get criticized for this one but, have any of ya'll ever ate a ruddy? we kill them all the time on fish ponds and consider them 'trash birds" we usually clean them and give them away. but i got to reading, and found out they are suppose to be really good, their diet is 75% vegeitarian. I may need to open my mind and try it

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I hunted a few weeks back with a bunch of mallard purists and said those "trash ducks" weren't fit to eat... So I cut up and marinated a few mallards, some wood ducks, a goose, and a couple mergansers; did the bacon/cream cheese/jalapeno thing and grilled them. Invited the guys over, every piece was gone by the time everybody was finished eating and never said a word about the taste, except they were good.

Now, cleaning those things isn't much fun, but in the end, nobody knows the difference.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I hunted a few weeks back with a bunch of mallard purists and said those "trash ducks" weren't fit to eat... So I cut up and marinated a few mallards, some wood ducks, a goose, and a couple mergansers; did the bacon/cream cheese/jalapeno thing and grilled them. Invited the guys over, every piece was gone by the time everybody was finished eating and never said a word about the taste, except they were good.

Now, cleaning those things isn't much fun, but in the end, nobody knows the difference.
Did you make sure to let them know what they ate?

·
Registered
31,116 Posts
Ok ok, i know i will get criticized for this one but, have any of ya'll ever ate a ruddy? we kill them all the time on fish ponds and consider them 'trash birds" we usually clean them and give them away. but i got to reading, and found out they are suppose to be really good, their diet is 75% vegeitarian. I may need to open my mind and try it
I got a feeling I might know one of the boys you hunt with pretty regularly, or at least who you've been hunting with on the fish ponds.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If cooked correctly duck is fabulous !!!most time it is I'll prepared and over cooked.. I like plain wood duck grilled!! My 6 year old eats duck like it is going out of style..!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.