Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had a question. We have had an invasion of hogs on the farm and shot some last night. It was really late and after working all day you don't feel like messing with 4 hogs. I was wondering about just cutting the backstrap out and if you have any suggestions on how long to chill it, how to cook it (smoke it, bbq, etc.) And any other tips you might have. I know we can't kill them out, but we can keep them at bay hopefully. Thanks for any suggestions/ help.

Angela

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I always skin my hogs and then quarter the hams and shoulders and of course cut out the backstrap. Some of these other guys may have a better way of just cutting out the loins but if that were all i was going to do i would probably just get a sharp knife and cut through the skin at the base of the ham and then strip down his side to the neck. Pull the hide while you cut it away from meat and then take out the loin. But i would bet after you start seeing the base of that ham you are just going to want them too. I can skin and quarter a big hog just about as fast as a deer because i do it all the time. That is the only suggestion i have but you sure are missing out on them hams. TurkeyHunter or SeArk may have a better suggestion. Me or any of these other guys would be glad to help you control them if you have a mess of them. As far as cooking them...it is all good. My favorite being smoked but you can grill them or just cut them up and fry them with fried potatoes, gravy, and some pinto beans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.