Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys what is your favorite fish to eat? I tried some channel catfish the other night caught out of the Arkansas River and I was not impressed. I think I like Crappie better. So lets hear your opinions and also how u care for the fish before u clean them (stringer, basket, live well, ice chest). aAlso how do u guys like to cook ur fish

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,506 Posts
As with any cooking, prep is key. When you clean catfish, if you put anything in the bag other than clean white meat, alot of folk aint gonna like the way it tastes. After I get a filet off, I cut every single bit of yellow off the top edge, and every bit of fat (red) off of the skin side. If you take an extra 10 or 15 minutes, it makes for much much better table fare. I also keep my pieces small. No pieces over 4'' long or so and no thinker than 1/2'' or so.

As for my favorite?? Close race between these two....

But can make these...

taste just like these!!!

·
Premium Member
26,180 Posts
Freshwater, walleye is my favorite, followed by bream, bass, and crappie. Saltwater - too many great choices - probably wahoo. I filet my fish. If I am going to eat before freezing, I just filet and put in a bag in the refrigerator. I don't wash them until I get ready to cook. If I am going to freeze, I rinse them off, dry them on a paper towel, vacuum seal and freeze. I do not soak them in water. Depends upon the fish what I do with it. Walleye, I fry, either in a beer batter or meal. Bream and bass are either fried in meal, or more likely blackened. Crappie are fried in meal. I will take a decent sized striper every now and then on the half shell. Filet, but do not cut the skin off. Put skin side down on a hot grill - season meat with butter, lemon juice, and whatever else you want. Grill until meat flakes, but do not ever turn it. Hide keeps it from burning. Flake meat off skin with a fork when finished. Larger bass are good like this too. To me, crappie are not as firm as bream and bass. Commercial fished for catfish 35 years ago when my wife and I got married. I was poor as dirt. We ate catfish almost everyday. The catfish stew did us in. We are not much on catfish today. My wife was pregnant and our son does not even like catfish.

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
like anything, its how you prepare it

some people can mess up a cooler of crappie fillets

I'd place crappie/bream at the top
walleye
catfish
bass / trout

I like fried, but blackened is good ... I'm not a grilled fish man at all

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ive only had walleye one time someone gave me and it was GREAT, but i dont fish for them so I would say crappie would be my favorite out of the fish I catch. DANG im hungry now!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was a catch and release guy all my life until this past year. Kept a few crappie and a nice eater channel and I like he crappie much better. I grilled it and seasoned it added some lemon.

My question is what is the best way to keep your fish in tip top before you're home and fillet/Clean them. U fish from shore by the river and I'm climbing rocks on he jetties so carrying a cooler full of ice isn't ideal on top of my f:ishing tackle.

Will keeping them alive on a stringer hurt the meat? Then pop them in a cooler of ice when I'm done fishing?

·
Premium Member
26,180 Posts
I was a catch and release guy all my life until this past year. Kept a few crappie and a nice eater channel and I like he crappie much better. I grilled it and seasoned it added some lemon.

My question is what is the best way to keep your fish in tip top before you're home and fillet/Clean them. U fish from shore by the river and I'm climbing rocks on he jetties so carrying a cooler full of ice isn't ideal on top of my f:ishing tackle.

Will keeping them alive on a stringer hurt the meat? Then pop them in a cooler of ice when I'm done fishing?
Keep them alive on a stringer. Then, throw them in a cooler with a slurry of ice and water.:up:

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I know I am going to keep a few bass I will cut the white part below the gills to bleed them out before I clean them. This way there is no blood getting on the meat. It works great!

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,506 Posts
When I know I am going to keep a few bass I will cut the white part below the gills to bleed them out before I clean them. This way there is no blood getting on the meat. It works great!
Dont forget the cheeks. On bass there is a piece of meat just below and behind the eye. sweetest meat on the whole fish.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts