Eastman Devastator- 1 Squirrel- 0

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Nuge Fan, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

Well my parents got me a dozen new Gold Tip Trophy Hunter 400 arrows for Christmas. I noticed them in the Sportsman's Guide catalog. 49.99 for a dozen and they had the same GPI, straightness tolerance, and everything else as my Nugent Gold Tip 5575s so I asked for some for target practice and slinging at small game.

Well since I got them, I decided to get some small game heads but didn't feel like paying $30 for a pack of the G5s so I went on ebay and found some Eastman Devastators. They were only $11 for 3 so I figured what the heck, it's worth a shot.

I was dogsitting for my parents while they were at the sugarbowl and since I'm tagged out on deer in that zone, I decided to go sit in my stand with my small game arrows until dark. Got a shot at one and smoked him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Devastators before

[​IMG]
    First victim. 15 yards off a limb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Devastators after

[​IMG]
    The replacements Eastman included with the heads

2. Arkansas Archer

Arkansas Archer Well-Known Member

Those look pretty mean. May have to try some. I wonder what they would to a turkey. Can you tell me how wide they are?

3. Nuge Fan

I personally wouldn't use them on turkeys.

4. Arkansas Archer

Are they junk or what... Oh yeah how about that width

5. Nuge Fan

I don't think they are junk, just don't think they would perform as well as a broadhead on a turkey.

They have a 1 1/8" cutting diameter

6. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

I would use them on a turkey in a heartbeat!! that would deliver a lot of energy and kind of blount force . especially with a good long chisel head . may not be legal though? have to check in to that

7. Arkansas Archer

You thinking barbed or what.

8. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

no theres just no cutting edge . or Im not seeing if so , ? It doesnt really have to cut with those arms on a wing or vital shot though, turks arent that tough of a bird when it comes to archery, Ive taken 8 with a bow and never had a flyaway, using all sorts of heads , , ,Saw one shot with a bludgeon tip once and it looked like a amtrak hit him at 80mph ,:up:

9. how do they shoot/fly? The look like they might shoot a little different than your field points.

10. Nuge Fan

Well I was able to hit a squirrel off a limb at 15 yards, so I'd say they fly pretty true

11. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Man, you are a squirrel assassin!! That's a bad looking small game head. :thumb: